Jambands.ca

got a camping spot for hillside!!

DevO

until now, we had a spot reserved that is apparently a good 2-3 hour hike from guelph lake. the plan was to check it out and then move into the spill-over area, which opens on friday AM. BUT, my friend ian has been calling up regularly to see if there has been any cancellations with the campsites right on the island, and yesterday he scored us a spot. the lady says its about a 15 minute walk from the stages! nice!! this weekend is looking to be another good one.

That's sweet. I'll be carpooling in every day from Hawkesville, near Kitchener.

Anyone have tips on parking etc? I've heard it's a major hassle and any help would be much appreciated.

AD

There is a convenient shuttle bus that goes b/n downtown to the Hillside site all day everyday of the fest.

I would suggest going to downtown Guelph and parking behind club Denim in this huge parking lot and then catching the shuttle.

Parking is free on the weekend!

Deeps

I believe you can park each day in the area to the right of the main drive in. Not sure what the cost is.

I'll tell you what I told KevO's friend AD: If you can get there at a reasonable hour on Friday afternoon you can probably reserve a spot in the overflow camping area (just a big field with mowed campsites). You'll have to pay for a spot as you would with reserved spots but you'll be on-site, won't have to drive or worry about a DD, and be able to take part in the good times that happen after the music shuts down (pretty early, around 11:00 or 11:30 each night).

I believe you can park each day in the area to the right of the main drive in. Not sure what the cost is.

I'll tell you what I told KevO's friend AD: If you can get there at a reasonable hour on Friday afternoon you can probably reserve a spot in the overflow camping area (just a big field with mowed campsites). You'll have to pay for a spot as you would with reserved spots but you'll be on-site, won't have to drive or worry about a DD, and be able to take part in the good times that happen after the music shuts down (pretty early, around 11:00 or 11:30 each night).

That is a good tip for sure... But I think I will opt for air-conditioning and a kitchen and showers at my friend's place, even though it is a drive. With this heat I haven't been sleeping well at all, and tents + grass (I have allergies) + lots of people all night, well, I don't think it will work for me this weekend.

Although that could all change pretty fast :)

How does the campground work? Do they only let in people who have bought campsites? I wouldn't mind partying with some friends who are camping, but am I even allowed to go to their site if I am a non-camper?

AD

Unless you're a volunteer, you're pretty much kicked off the island itself at about 11:30 pm. However, there is no way of patrolling the larger GRCA campground -- I'm sure you can hang with friends on their site. It seems the GRCA gave up a few years ago trying to limit (and check/verify nightly) the number of people/tents per site. (I really don't know about overflow though.) I'm sure there's still an upper limit, but we've had up to 4 tents per site in the past with no problem.

hey Large Marge -- check your PTs re camping.....

Unless you're a volunteer, you're pretty much kicked off the island itself at about 11:30 pm. However, there is no way of patrolling the larger GRCA campground -- I'm sure you can hang with friends on their site. It seems the GRCA gave up a few years ago trying to limit (and check/verify nightly) the number of people/tents per site. (I really don't know about overflow though.) I'm sure there's still an upper limit, but we've had up to 4 tents per site in the past with no problem.

hey Large Marge -- check your PTs re camping.....

the GRCA rules say basically a combination of 3 things (tents, campers, screen houses) per site, maximum 6 people per site. they have never really enforced this in the past, but the word is due to the festival selling out they're going to be more vigilant. i expect if they bust you they'll just charge you more. "additional vehicles" are $9 a night.

oughta be a hoot!