Jambands.ca

John Entwistle died on this day 7/27/2002

TimmyB

May you rest in peace John. You are one of my all time favorites on the bass.

Tim

From www.billboard.com

THIS DAY IN MUSIC For Wednesday July 27, 2005.

2002 - The Who's John Entwistle is found dead in his hotel room in Las Vegas. He has cocaine in his system, and the death is ruled accidental. He is 57.

He truly was amazing.

My ears are still ringing from seeing his band play at Barrymore's about 8 or 10 years ago. That was, by far, the loudest show I've ever seen; including Motorhead and Slayer. (They brought in their own HUMONGOUS speakers, and had to bring in Ottawa Hydro to boost power to the bar.) I am sure it is his fault that Pete Townshend now complains about going deaf. ;)

RIP you crazy, loud nut! Thanks for the memories.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

John Alec Entwistle (October 9, 1944 – June 27, 2002) was the bass guitar player for The Who.

John Alec Entwistle was born in Chiswick, a London suburb, in 1944. He joined Roger Daltrey in a pre-Who band, The Detours, in the early 1960s.

(not too bad of a memory for a pothead...although i remember it vivedly, as the who are one of my favorite groups (possibly my favorite at that time) and John Entistle was probably my favorite bassist at that time....sad time CTMF was that weekend)

and my memory impresses me further...

i thought this same problem happened last year, after all billboard never corrects ANYTHING...

here's the thread from a year ago, with timmyB pronouncing the anniversary of his death....a month later.

(timmyB, i'm surprised, lol)

http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/154648/post/154648/hl/entwistleTimmyB/#154648

He truly was amazing.

My ears are still ringing from seeing his band play at Barrymore's about 8 or 10 years ago. That was, by far, the loudest show I've ever seen; including Motorhead and Slayer. (They brought in their own HUMONGOUS speakers, and had to bring in Ottawa Hydro to boost power to the bar.) I am sure it is his fault that Pete Townshend now complains about going deaf. ;)

RIP you crazy, loud nut! Thanks for the memories.

Damn I hate it when billboard get their information wrong! The same thing happened when I posted Bob Weir's birthday earlier this year.

Hey StoneMtn,

I too was at that John Entwistle gig in Ottawa at Barrymore's and I also reference to it as the loudest gig I have ever attended!

I remember it was before I brought earplugs to bar shows and I had to put kleenx in my ears. Also I remember looking at John's amps and the sound coming out was moving the air so you couldn't read the numbers on some digital stuff on his amps clearly.

I'm happy I got to see John with the Who four times as well.

Tim

My favourite bass player ever. I was working the day he died and knowing that I was a huge Who fan' date=' the MuchMoreMusic program director let me program Who videos on MuchMoreMusic that morning. It helped ease the pain.

[/quote']

Nice way to ease said pain! Do you remember your choices?

I think I put on Happy Jack, My Generation ( Monterey Pop ), You Better You Bet, Baba O'Reily - but Join Together may have aired too. I hope it did. Love that tune.

By The By, I saw Entwistle's solo tour too. He played The Warehouse which is now Kool Haus - I think it was 1998. It would have been the same tour as the one that rolled through Ottawa.

There was maybe 600 people at the Warehouse show. The place holds 2000-plus. The Ox wasn't impressed, but it was promoted terribly. However, somehow I scalped 10 comp tickets. Good show regardless. It was loud.