Jambands.ca

Plaskett, Mays, Hot Toddy and More!!!

Large Marge

title_head_eastCoast.gif

August 19-21 at Toronto's Harbourfront Centre

Harbourfront Summer Festivals

[color:blue]In-Flight Safety (Sackville)

Friday August 19th - 8:00 pm

Art-pop-rock from the winners of NXNE 2003 Fan choice award. Their smartly written songs have been favourably compared to Coldplay, classic Pink Floyd and Radiohead.

Matt Mays & El Torpedo (Dartmouth)

Friday August 19th - 9:30 pm

Pure rocked-out sensory overload from these two-time 2005 Juno nominated road-trip-rockers! Raspy vocals and gritty sound that’ll make you think of Neil Young. Their single Cocaine Cowgirl had huge impact, and On a lighter note, the band uses little known instruments like ‘foot’, ‘mic stand’ and ‘bath stoppers’! artist website

Afro-Celtic Jam

August 20 & 21, 2 pm

Vishtin and other invited artists get together for an explosive culture jam - full of beats, rhythms and rhymes! Curated by Anne Marie Wood

Vishten (Acadia)

Saturday August 20th - 3:00 pm

An ECMA award winning five piece acoustic powerhouse! A celebration of Acadian culture a hardy mixture of French, Irish and Scottish influences with fiery fiddling and powerful step dancing taking front and centre...a special joie de vivre unique to the Acadian culture of Eastern Canada, with flying fingers, tapping feet, and an unabashed sense of celebration. artist website

Gordie Sampson (Cape Breton)

Saturday August 20th - 8:00 pm

Five-time 2005 ECMA award-winner Sampson has been writing hit songs for years - artists who’ve used his talents include Ashley MacIsaac, Keith Urban, Faith Hill, Crush, Natalie MacMaster and others. His rootsy pop songs are filled with I-wish-I'd-thought-of-that lines. artist website

“...infectious rhythm and killer changes ...” - Vancouver Province

ANSMA (African Nova Scotia Music Association) Showcase

Saturday August 20th - 11:00 pm

Showcasing the diverse genres of African music emerging from Nova Scotia, including R&B, rap, hip hop, traditional African music and jazz. Featuring hip hop pioneers Universal Soul, burgeoning R& B crooner Jordan Croucher and celebrated Canadian Idol finalist Gary Beals.

Joel Plaskett Emergency

Saturday August 20th - 9:30 pm

After a decade rocking out with the ever popular Thrush Hermit in the '90s, Plaskett and his band The Emergency combine eclectic influences ranging from Led Zeppelin to Curtis Mayfield into heart-felt, intelligent, original music. artist website

Matt Anderson

Sunday August 21st - 1:00 pm

Force of nature Matt Anderson has taken the East Coast by storm, and is now setting his sights further afield! An energetic performer and gifted singer and songwriter, he’s won over audience after audience with his high intensity performances.

Hot Toddy

Sunday August 21st - 3:00 pm

Native New Brunswick natives and 2005 ECMA winners for Best Blues Recording “The Salty Sessions Volume II”, they are known for their sweet blend of roots, jazz and blues, and their live performances are a unique mix of acoustic and electric sounds.

The Cottars

Sunday August 21st - 4:30 pm

The Cottars are Cape Breton Island-bred teen prodigies who’s story has spread quickly across North America, Europe, Asia, and beyond. The four young Celts - brother/sister pairs Ciaran and Fiona MacGillivray and Jimmy and Roseanne MacKenzie - have all been playing traditional music since early childhood. Ranging in age from 15 to 17, each is a multi-instrumentalist, singer and stepdancer.

I don't even know what to tell you about Plaskett... If you have not yet seen him then GO to this show! He is one of the most riveting performers I've seen... VERY East-coast style. I have yet to experience the Emergency but have heard only good things.

I saw an early morning Hot Toddy set at Evolve last summer and they fucking rocked!!! Maybe I missed it, but I've been waiting patiently for them to show up out here... come help make sure they're well recieved - we need a full tour!

Yeah Boy! East Coast represent!!!

Peace & Love kids... enjoy your Simcoe Day holiday :)

I've got to say definitely miss In-Flight Safety, saw them at Hillside and they were a watered down Coldplay, I was calling them Coverplay.

Also I want to say again that it should be El Torpedo featuring Matt Mays because that is a great band. The bassist Andy Pitala used to be in my favourite Halifax group the Holiday Snaps (bad name great group).