Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum

rubberdinghy

i thought you were answering "of course not" to my question about irrelevance. sorry that you worded your post awkwardly, i guess?

btw, what does this sentence mean? "Avery gets 25, then Neil gets none, then Pronger gets 1, then Downie gets 25, etc.etc" are you predicting suspensions?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well what you wrote is wrong then - there is a list just 10 or so posts up that list the longest suspensions - there is just one that is 25 games, that was chris simon. avery isn't on the list, and downie got 20 not 25. in fact, has sean avery ever been suspended by the nhl? (i'm assuming 'avery' means 'sean avery')

still irrelevant. jakis was right about that.

I'm drawing a blank here, when did Avery get 25 games?

Personally, I say history doesn't matter. If the NHL says this type of infraction deserves 25 games from now on, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Will they be consistent from here on? I doubt it too, but that remains to be seen.

well what you wrote is wrong then - there is a list just 10 or so posts up that list the longest suspensions - there is just one that is 25 games, that was chris simon. avery isn't on the list, and downie got 20 not 25. in fact, has sean avery ever been suspended by the nhl? (i'm assuming 'avery' means 'sean avery')

My mistake ... I didn't mean Avery, it was Simon I was thinking of (who got the 25 gamer). I also noticed my typo on the Downie 20 (not 25) and edited it prior to your post ... ease up already.

Personally, I say history doesn't matter. If the NHL says this type of infraction deserves 25 games from now on, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Will they be consistent from here on? I doubt it too, but that remains to be seen.

History does matter. I agree with you that if THIS is what is deemed to be the penalty for this type of infraction, it should be a benchmark. Watching to see if they maintain this consistently should be very interesting.

Colin Campbell was on the Team as I drove home and was saying that this past summer the NHL met with the players union and management types to determine what sort of "head shots" will call for what kinds of suspensions. From there, they created a video of past infractions telling players/teams "This will get you this, this will get you that..."

Downie came in and created 'the perfect storm' basically. Not his exact words but that was the message. Sounds like this is a precedent but Colin went off at this point and left me a bit confused. Certain things like the playoffs and injuries will call for different measures as well as the player being called into the office.

If Downie is cut by the Flyers, he would be automatically ineligible to play for the team's minor league affiliate, though an AHL spokesman said Friday that the league could review the case.

If he starts the season with the Flyers and serves the full 20 games, he will be eligible to return Nov. 23 against Washington. The next night, the Flyers face the Senators.

Some interesting comments by Rob DiMaio in MacKenzie's editorial today:

“Hopefully, it sets a precedent and sends a message,†retired veteran Rob DiMaio told TSN. “If this kid (Downie) is going to be any kind of player and play a long time in the league, this is the best thing for him. It's only 20 games and he can get on with his career and hopefully learn something from it. It could be the best thing that ever happened to him. It's these young kids coming into our league who don't seem to get it, who want to hit to hurt.â€

DiMaio feels as though he has personal experience on that front and his story is interesting, in terms of where the NHL is today compared to a year ago today on this subject.

On Sept. 26, 2006 – a year less a day from when Downie tagged McAmmond – Montreal Canadiens rookie Guillame Latendresse drilled DiMao into the boards. DiMaio's head struck the glass, he suffered a concussion and has not played a game since then. His career is over but he still has constant headaches.

Latendresse received a five-minute major for boarding in that pre-season game. There was no supplementary discipline. No suspension. Nothing.

Latendresse's hit wasn't identical to Downie's, but…

He hit an unsuspecting player.

He hit him late.

If he didn't target the head, it was done recklessly into the boards with the end result being DiMaio's head forcefully striking the boards.

And it most certainly resulted in injury.

Last week, DiMaio was watching pre-season hockey highlights when he saw Latendresse hit Pittsburgh's Ryan Whitney into the boards from behind. DiMaio was not happy.

“(Latendresse) is one of those young guys who has come into the league and is part of the problem,†DiMaio said. “These guys play with reckless abandon. They hit to hurt. There is no regard or respect at all.â€

One would like to think if the Latendresse hit occurred today, it would result in a hefty suspension, certainly more than the five-minute major he got a year ago.

When the Ottawa Senators face the Toronto Maple Leafs to open the regular season on Wednesday night, they will have Martin Gerber as their starting goalie.

The club confirmed on Saturday morning that netminder Ray Emery's surgically-repaired left wrist is not ready for game action.

The Flyers sent suspended F Steve Downie to their AHL affiliate across the street in Philly yesterday and plan to recall him on NHL game days to serve his 20-game banishment. He won't necessarily be able to play in the minors either. AHL spokesman Jason Chaimovitch told the Sun last night in an e-mail that under AHL rules, Downie is "ineligible pending an independent review of the matter."

Guest Low Roller

The Sens stayed perfect in the pre-season! I hope this is a good indication of how the season will go.

Downie will get served if he ever tried to play against Ottawa.