Jambands.ca

Bertuzzi is Back!!!

badams

Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi, who had been suspended indefinitely by the National Hockey League on March 8, 2004 for a blind-side punch that injured Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore, has been reinstated for the start of the 2005-06 season, the League announced today.

Bertuzzi had been suspended for the remainder of the 2003-04 season, including the final 13 regular-season games plus the entire 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

He remained suspended throughout the 2004-05 cancelled season, in which the suspension barred Bertuzzi from participating in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and both the 2004 and 2005 IIHF World Championships, as well as preventing him from playing in any European professional league.

Bertuzzi forfeited a total of $501,926.39 in salary as a result of his suspension.

Screw this.

The fucking ape only got 13 games in the end.

I love how the guys on Sportsnet were counting playoff games as "two"... so with the 7 game series against Calgary they figured Bertuzzi had sat out 27 games.

Almost as bad as Bettman claiming that Bertuzzi had been suspended for 17 months.

I think this guy is a loathsome thug. And Markus Naslund isn't far behind.

I'm going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Todd Bertuzzi has a long history of "snapping", this was not a one time deal.

- Like the time in 1991, playing in the Northern Ontario midget championships, when his team was beaten out in the finals by Sault Ste. Marie and he chased the winning team's bus out of the parking lot, swearing and pounding on the windows, out of control.

- The next year, his first in the Ontario Hockey League, Bertuzzi missed the end of that season and the beginning of the next when he was suspended 15 games for kicking a Kitchener player.

- The year after that, in his own locker room, for no apparent reason, he punched out teammate Jeff O'Neill, who at the time was Guelph's prized first-round pick.

- In the NHL, Bertuzzi punched linesman Jean Morin in a 1996 scuffle and ended up suspended for three games before losing 10 more games to suspension for jumping the bench to attack a Colorado player in 2001.

Ill stick up for the re-instatement.

A long history of snapping dave-o? three of those came when he was a teenager. i snapped all the time as a teen, especially playing sports and i dont know the pressures of Major Junior hockey. and there is always fights in the dressing room, not really a big deal. A lot of people do dumb things when they are young. wow a 16yr old punching another 16yr old. ive done it. should it come back to haunt me now? no.

Secondly the 17month suspension is just. It was up-held by the euro-leauges and he couldnt play the world cup. thats a long time to not get paid. So while everyone else cruised over to make some quick cash big bert couldnt.

plus there has been a report that moore has been cleared to play by one doctors hes been seeing. I know I read this in an article sometime last week.

Even if Moore is cleared to play he may never be able to in this new league. He was a 4th line player and is easily replaced.

I'm really on the fence with this one.

Bertuzzi missed 20 games in total. 13 regular season and 7 playoff games. Financially, the suspension cost hi, $501,926.39 US in salary, plus $350,000 in endorsement.

He was not allowed to play for Canada in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and the 2005 IIHF world hockey championship. The IIHF respected the NHL's suspension and wouldn't let him play in Europe during last year's NHL lockout.

I'm gonna lean on letting him back in the league.

Think about it this way, Dale Hunter got 21 games for his attack on Pierre Turgeon.

Which do you think was worse?

The NHL should have kept this one in-house. Who cares about missing the Worlds? Who cares he couldnt go steal a job in Europe?

Its looking like a joke of a PR move to me.

To be honest I think they were both about the same in intensity. The end result of Bertuzzi's was worse. That being said we don't have a juducial system that offers and eye for an eye.

I know it would be hard but I've always thought the NHL as well as other sports leagues should lay out some sort of system of punishment ahead of time. Each occurance is unique, however it would give a base of what type of penalty should be applied. If need be the commisioner or whoever could add a little more.

There seems to be no consistency at this time.

"To be honest I think they were both about the same in intensity."

I dont agree. Hunter slams Turgeon and skates off.

Bertuzzi hits Moore, piledrives him into the ice and THEN starts to swing again. If Hunter had of started swinging after hitting Turgeon, I would agree with you.

Where I do agree is the inconsistency of these suspensions.

ahh booche. so the Hunter incident is one. but you can easily look back and see shit that was worse then what bert did and they got less.

one example is claude lemieux driving drapers face into the top of the boards. draper needed re-construction surgery and was out of the playoffs. lemieux got 2 games..

so since berts sentence was way longer then that and i think lemieuxs actions were worse bert should be re-instated.

really though you cant base your judgement on suspensions that have come before in the NHL because they are all over the place.

There seems to be no consistency at this time.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but i think a professional sport that advocates violence (fighting) as a way to release tension, settle scores, intimidate/motivate others is always going to have a hard time knowing where to draw the line and how to deal with those who cross it.

Fair enough TissueMan, but I doubt anyone would ever disagree that NHL really mishandled that Lemieux case.

But, if earlier you were trying to imply that Bert should be able to come back because Moore has been cleared to play hockey, you may want to read this:

But Moore's lawyer Tim Danson said the ruling means Bertuzzi can earn $5.2-million US this year while his client doesn't know if he'll ever play hockey again.

"Steve Moore is disappointed by the decision because he is unable to resume his career and my never resume his NHL career," Danson said in an interview.

"Steve has an uncertain future. He's got health challenges to deal with. While he maintains a very positive attitude ... at this point he really is in the hands of doctors who will have to make the determination whether or not he will be able to play again."

Danson also denied reports in a Toronto newspaper that a doctor has given Moore medical clearance to play hockey again.

"That statement is significantly false," Danson said.

All I am getting at is that Bert's suspension should have NOTHING to do with the fact that the NHL went on strike and he couldnt play in Europe. Same goes for the Worlds. That is embarrasing, but this is obviously another PR move.

"Listen, lets get Bert back in the league. The fans wont completely remember or care what went down and are dying to see him and the others play again. It will be a good thing for us."

The poll on Sportsnet shows a WIDE difference between my feelings and Tissue/Badams. The fans want him back. Idiots, the lot of them. Too many years of listening to Don Cherry will make you stupid.

not sure how much i buy the clearance statements from either side. there is a big lawsuit coming so odds are both sides will have there own doctors saying different shite.

though colorado sure made a statement where they stand on the issue. signing Brad May when he is named in the lawsuit moore filed.

Edited by Guest

Sure you can dismiss all that as "the acts of a teenager", but it is a pattern. I can't name another elite player who has that kind of resume.

While I think the indefinite suspension turned out to be a farce, I do look forward to seeing Bertuzzi play again.