Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Elliot Brood and Cuff The Duke - London - TONITE!

guigsy

Cuff The Duke w/ Elliot Brood tonite at Call The Office in London... $6 gets ya in the door.. not a bad deal...

really looking forward to catching Elliot Brood again, after they made me a fan with their opening slot for bnb back in the spring... and i've got my fingers crossed for a good cuff the duke show... hell, i'll even settle for better than what i've seen...

man, elliot brood are a great band! if you see them come around, give 'em some support. acoustic guitar, banjo and drums (with a suitcase as the kick! yes!).

favourite stage banter moment from the night:

"how's school everyone? .. we used to go to fanshawe... anyone live EOA?"

rowdy guy in the back - "FUCKIN' RIGHT!!!!!!!!"

after that, i was actually thinking that EOA is a good way to describe their sound - gritty. filthy. and lots of fun. they probably played for 45mins to an hour, and they rocked it out harder and faster with each tune.. great energy coming from the stage, and london was lovin' 'em!!! some of the best crowd response i've seen in that room, and very well deserved. turns out a friend of mine's little brother recorded a few of their songs for their upcoming cd release (oct. 4th on sixshooter, but i forget the name of the disc), and they gave him a nice little shout-out mid-way throught the set.. awesome stuff. after last nites set i can say im an even bigger fan now, will definitely be picking up the disc when it drops... and i recommend you all do, too, and check 'em out when you can.

cuff the duke also played.

:)

i thought you'd like that, cowboy, heheh... you know, i think last nite i just decided that its just not for me. and it's gotta be just me, cuz i think i was the only person in that place who wasnt enjoying their set. im gonna take a page out of schwa's book on this one: "good band. i dont like them." actually, to be more specific, i think it's the singer/guitar player that irks me.. good voice: yes. good player: not in my opinion. he does the same, uninteresting, thing over and over, all the while wading through the stage like he's swimming in a giant soup bowl of pretension... and i think he really dumbs the band down.. its the weakest link factor.. they dont have someone who really stands out to push them over the top, however, to me, they do have someone who really stands out in that it makes them less interesting, and unfortunately his influence seems to carry to the other players.. if the other 3 found a frontman that wasnt so into being a rockstar that doesnt rock, i'd probably like their band a lot more.

secretly, though, i want to like them. i just havent been able to yet.

I'm in the same book as your are Scott.Seen them a couple times at the Casbah & just don't like em.Pretension is an understatment if you ask me.Esapecially,after hearing him outright slam (I'm being nice here) Kingston & then the people there because they had only 30 people or so out on a tuesday night when he felt they deserved a much bigger crowd.I honestly thought he was kidding at first,but he contiuned his spew after each song that came up next & so on once the show was done.I did dig Wintersleep & the other band that opened that night though.

I bought their disc "Life Stories for minimum wage" just to see if maybe I had hit bad luck & two poor shows,its better then the live show I will say,but not that good it gets much rotation around here.I suppose its an aquired taste,although to me its a bitter one.

Esapecially,after hearing him outright slam (I'm being nice here) Kingston & then the people there because they had only 30 people or so out on a tuesday night when he felt they deserved a much bigger crowd.

Huh? He slammed the people there because there weren't enough other people there? That's unconscienable, in my opinion. I admit to occasionally feeling shame when I'm at a (really good) show with low attendance, but this usually lasts about 3ms, before I realize the people who should be ashamed are the ones who weren't there. People who come out to a show are always to be thanked, not derided. If I were at such a show, I'd be tempted to go up and speak to the feep in question, and tell him something like, "I gave up a bunch of other things and spent my hard-earned money to be here, and you showered disrespect and insult on me and the other people here. Think there weren't enough people here? Wait until your next show, because I'm telling everybody I know about what an ass you were."

Aloha,

Brad

Huh? He slammed the people there because there weren't enough other people there? That's unconscienable, in my opinion. I admit to occasionally feeling shame when I'm at a (really good) show with low attendance, but this usually lasts about 3ms, before I realize the people who should be ashamed are the ones who weren't there. People who come out to a show are always to be thanked, not derided. If I were at such a show, I'd be tempted to go up and speak to the feep in question, and tell him something like, "I gave up a bunch of other things and spent my hard-earned money to be here, and you showered disrespect and insult on me and the other people here. Think there weren't enough people here? Wait until your next show, because I'm telling everybody I know about what an ass you were."

Aloha,

Brad

Perhaps I wasn't clear,he slammed the people of Kingston & the city for poor attendence the night before.Not sure what your getting at here though Brad,I had nothing to do with his comments,nor am I making this up,I was not the only person from this board in attendence who witnessed this.I was merely expressing one reason for my dislike,music aside & an example of the pretensive (if that makes sense) attitude the guy had.

I just wandered over to the lounge had a beer & a smoke,bought their CD and went home.

hahaha.. well, they didnt have that problem last nite... packed house for 'em at Call The Office, and everyone else seemed to be in love with them. oh well... cant say i didnt try, that was my 4th time out to see them.

they packed the house because half of the student population in London is from Oshawa...I see Wayne was a wiener again...good band but too bad those guys are all assholes