Jambands.ca

Lawn alternatives

Dr_Evil_Mouse

ok guys, i know your pain...ooooh how i know your pain.

my house is on just under an acre of property.

i have an electric mower (booooo) and it takes me 1.5 hours just to do the front lawn, i have never attempted to do the back lawn, which is just about double the size. it's about a foot tall now. hasn't been mowed in about 6 weeks i think.

and on top of that i have a macintosh apple tree that has dropped about 2000 lbs of unconsumable apples onto my lawn. (anyone know what to do with apples that have what looks to be a worm hole in them?) and once they hit the ground they have a nice big bruise on them that's about half the size of the apple. EVEN when they land in the nice pillow top grass i have out there. (anyone know if i can get a compost thingy to hold that much stuff?)

what i'm going to do next year is not take away my lawn entirely, but rather get rid of at least 40-50% of it. i'm going to extend gardens out and dig up a 6 or 7 foot radius around the tree in the middle of the yard out front and plant flowers. i can stand with a hose a lot easier than i can struggle with that biznatch mower. also, it's fun to write special messages in your grass, like penis, or vag, or even your name! (hey kids, whoever does the most chores this week gets their name in the lawn!!! (for a whole summer)) I'm also going to remove a 10x20 patch of grass along the side of my house for a vegetable garden. (somehow i think i can deal with that, while hating mowing my lawn. we'll see how i do) but that is 200 square feet less of grass. and you get something in return besides less bitching from the neighbours and a sore back.

since you have the backyard to deal with too, you may want to consider getting a riding lawn mower. now see, there are approx 30 houses on my street all with the same property size. and about 15 of those people have riding lawn mowers. since they're so expensive and get so little use, i really don't understand why neighbours don't get together and buy 1 communal mower. you may want to form a co-op or something like that with some neighbours to get one. and get one with a cup holder so daddy evil mouse can have his dandelion wine while he's mowin. taking turns between parents can help too (don't hit me janey!) at least then you only have to do it once every 2 weeks. and maybe stretching out the mows...to say once every 10 days. that means each person does it once every 3 weeks. that means if you mow from april to oct. each person mows 8 or 9 times.

while the dandelion idea may be a good one, you'll have enough of those naturally, believe me. and if you have an entire huge lawn of them, your naighbours would come together and kill you, cause all those fluffy seeds would go all over their lawns, and not everyone is as loving of them as you may be.

sounds like you and mr_evil_mouse better move to a condo, buy a small flower pot and plant now only one plant in it ha ha

really don,t blame you for not cutting your grass too much as it is really pretty long and if u have wildflowers

but i find very pretty as years ago no one cut lawns and put all that sh!t on them like

as the wife is in the house working her ass off to get things done ,no sign,s there eh?

let it grow and hope you don,t get your 72 fixed as it would be so pretty on your front lawn, then let the neighbours have a little conversation

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic