Jambands.ca

Lawn alternatives

Dr_Evil_Mouse

So I just finished mowing my first lawn in over twenty years, and while it was fun and everything (took well over an hour, and my arms are still shaking), I've never been quite sold on the stuff (especially having to be conscious of BS local bylaws around proper lawn maintenance). I'm wondering what options there are to grass. Clover seems to be a popular one; any others?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clover is an option.

But if you would like to maintain a healthy lawn for your girls to play in - look into the new Product Beet Juice. It's a natural fertilizer, and weed inhibitor.

Remember to cut your lawn no shorter then 2.5/ 3 inches, and only water in the morning (to prevent fungal diseases)

Let it grow, and travel around your area to find natural tall grasses and wildflowrs, just spread some flowers in you're yard, and you'll never know what to xpect in the fantasic years to come.... though a well kept lawn provides more thn enough oxygen for a family of four.

If this pisses off you're neighbours it's a good thing... freak out the squares man.

There was a story on the news the other day about a guy in Toronto whose neighbours forced to remove his wild garden. In that city you need a permit to have one and I don't know if that's the case in Ottawa.

go to www.sierraclub.ca and see what tips they have for natural gardens.

we have no intention of mowing the huge backyard, ever! (So warning to those coming to the housewarming, don't drop anything out there...it's already a good six inches of bouncy, fluffy, soft green heaven...well, not exactly the 'green heaven' many of you are picturing right now....)

Anyway, this morning my dad, out of 'horror and shame' drove his lawnmower over here for us to deal with the front yard, the only place the neighbours can actually see and complain about, thank god! (So Sharon, the 'hour' Dave speaks of, was just mowing the front!!!!)

We are definitely looking for ideas for the back though, in terms of flowers, garden plants, etc. So Sunshine, I'll be sure to pick your brain when you're here! (if anyone wants to bring seeds and/or cuttings to the housewarming and plant them, you'd be more than welcome to!!!!)

Vinca (periwinkle) is a great alternative to a traditonal lawn. It isn't suitable for playing/frolicking etc., as it is a ground cover, but it is hardy and can be walked on. My parents replaced their front lawn with it a couple of years ago and it looks great. The only problem is it can be a bit expensive. You do get these wonderful purple flowers on them though:

Vinca%20minor-04-kleine_maagdenpalm1-B4.jpg

And here's a cool website I found when looking for a vinca picture:

Groundcover options

Thanks for all these brilliant ideas. I like the idea of variety - bit of this, bit of that; we will have to figure out what works well with what (i.e. not to watch some Darwinian spectacle unfold between all the different species), and be circumspect, given that I haven't seen a single dandelion in the neighbourhood, but I look forward to breaking the consistency of the military-issue lawns around here.

SSJ, I'm working on finding a rusty old '72 Impala to dump out front if anyone complains about what we do ;).

Btw, does anyone (Snail?) know about mini-strawberries? I like the idea of a lawn you can also eat.