Jambands.ca

Tdot: Turn on your lovelights

Kaidy Mae

yeah, that's lame.

and true, the energy saved by doing little things like light bulbs is so insignificant.

it drove me CRAZY in japan how much packaging they used.

here's your muffin, in a little paper bag, then put that into a little box, and then wrap that, and then finally into a plastic bag.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

the energy saved by doing little things like light bulbs is so insignificant.

I hear what you're both saying and I agree that the packaging sucks. But I truly believe it is the small changes that make a difference. If every household in Toronto switched to CFL bulbs there would be a significant decrease in the amount of hydro used. It's hardly a finite solution, but I think it's a great start.

i think that's a nice idea (and it's important for people to be aware and change their behaviour in regards to energy efficiency), but think it doesn't make that much of a difference with the light bulbs. the small changes make a small difference. the big changes are more important.

but yeah you gotta start somewhere...but if people think they are 'making a difference' by changing their light bulbs...not really.

I think the awareness and the amount of radio play this campaign is getting contradicts how "insignificant" it may seem to some. Folks in the GTA are constantly being urged to conserve, conserve, conserve. However, most don't realize how. Directing people to change their ways in order to save power not only makes them aware of ways that they can change, but of how much needless power they may be consuming.

Even if the bulbs don't save much energy, they do last a significantly longer. Buying fewer bulbs equals less glass in the trash, less packaging in the long run and less money going to Home Depot. Environmentally aware citizens cannot expect government and corporations to make conservative efforts if we ourselves will not make the effort to get off the couch and change our light bulbs.

i better clarify...by 'big changes' i was not talking about government and corporations. i am not saying a good light bulb doesn't matter AT ALL. but why lead people to think their effort to change their light bulbs is truly enough, when the effect is relatively insignificant?

think about how much energy people use to heat their homes, vs. how much for a light fixture (think of it in terms of cost if that's easier). if people used their 'awareness' to make their home/building envelope more energy efficient and up to EGH standards (ie. insulation levels/air sealing, argon low-e windows, etc), the energy saved would be ridiculously huge. you cannot even compare how much energy that would save in comparison with light bulbs.

all i meant is the behavioural change aspect of it is important, but in terms of actual results, not so much.

wasn't cyberhippie's point that these newly packaged light bulbs are actually creating MORE trash? other than that, i agree with the point about them lasting longer...and of course it's a good idea to use them.

:)

I switched to these compact FL last summer. Almost every bulb in our house is now this type. The amount of energy saved is not noticable on the hydro bill. I'll have to agree that it insignificant to the average consumer to change but....if we all change the savings to the city/province/energy grid would definately be noticable.

Since I've switched I've only lost one bulb (it came with a 5 yr warranty but darned if I can find the receipt a year later) and with normal bulbs it seemed that there was always one blown somewhere.

I'm definately in for the FL bulbs. May not save me any money but makes me feel like I'm doing something to help and since I rent it one of the only options I have to decrease energy usage (I can't go re-insulating my attic, I don't have one)

Now if you really want to save energy don't use air-conditioning. Our highest electricity usage is always in the summer not the winter.

Thanks for clarifying phorbesie. I now see what you're saying and that there's a dangerous side to this campaign as well. Hopefully people won't think that changing 2 little bulbs will be enough, but I wouldn't be surprised. :(

Most of my coworkers, for example, would be the ones to take advantage of the free bulbs and keep setting their thermostats at 16 degrees all summer (one guy in here seriously does that) and use their automatic car starters all winter. I'm baffled at how they don't make the connection between their comfort/consumption and the effects on their hydro bills/fuel costs and environment.

It sucks that the bulbs are wrapped in more trash than they should be. There's no excuse for that (it's like when the grocery store wraps organic broccoli in about 7 feet of shrink wrap to secure it to a styrofoam board). I just hope that these bulbs last the projected 5-7 years and that the packaging only need be used once (and not every time a regular bulb is replaced).

Thanks for makin' me think, phorbesie! But rats! And here I thought we were on to something. ;)

Edit to add:

We use CFL bulbs in my house, but I use bulbs made by Verilux in the winter and around my printer equipment as they are full spectrum are the closest replication of natural sunlight. These suckers are great for people who suffer from SAD. They come in recycleable boxes with no other packaging, but cost around $11-15 per bulb. You can find them at health food stores. :)

Edited by Guest
I remembered the name of my bulbs!

i'm renting too, in a very old house with old windows and old everything really, lol. i'm a little nervous about my first long winter out here, hope it's a warm one...hehehe. ;)

neat bulbs you got there...i get lots of sunlight in my rooms but then again, it's still kinda summer isn't it? we'll see once winter comes. i usually like winter, but again, haven't spent one here yet....hehe

(but i'll say it again, thank goodness for cuba.)

DAMN it's a nice day out there today. NEED TO ESCAPE!!

ramble over.

That's the only place I've seen them CH. You can try to order them from here. The prices are about the same when converted to CAN funds. There's a $14.95 minimum order though and I have no idea how outrageous shipping would be.

I've seen Verilux bulbs at the Big Carrot (Danforth) and possibly at Evergreen (St. Clair & Bathurst). Those are the closest places to Etobicoke that I know of.

I think its a great idea and I'm impressed to see it happening, and I think it is without a doubt a positive thing and something that does make a difference. Not only in terms of energy conservation but in terms of getting people to consider the whole idea of energy consumption / conservation. Having people take part in this, they might also go out and learn more about EnerGuide or home retrofits or whatever. Its educating people. Its like saying theres no point in saving pennies and nickels because you can't buy anything good with just a few pennies. (sorry for rant, hehe)

The plastic packaging is definitely unnecessary but a CFL bulb uses one third the energy of an incandescent, and lasts 10 times longer. All of our bulbs have been changed over and there may only be a $2 or $3 difference on our bill, but we haven't replaced one yet so despite the extra inputs I'm not adding to landfills at the same rate as I would with a standard bulb.

As you pointed out Phorbesie when you rent there are things you can change to save energy and there are things you can't. The big things are usually the ones you can't so that leaves weatherstripping, energy-efficient lighting and changing your behaviour to be conscious of waste.

Edited by Guest