Jambands.ca

TimmyB off to NYC for Fresh Cream

TimmyB

Today, Monday October 24, 2005, I will see Cream for the first time and likely last time on stage at Madison Square Gardens.

After Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, I thought there was a glimmer of hope that I would see the innovators of the blues rock power trio on stage live.

Yet months past and my first Eric Clapton concert was to open his 'Nothing But the Blues Tour' in Montreal in October of 1994.

After that first Clapton show all hope soon passed and I never thought this day would come. Yet here it is. I have seen Clapton several times since in his subsequent tours, yet today I will see him on stage with no other guitarists, keyboardist, horn section or backing vocalists, nothing but one of the greatest rhythm sections ever seen in Bruce and Baker.

Slowhand's hands will be busy tonight and the smile is not likely to leave my face for the show and many days to follow.

Tim

PS Andrew from Club Q thinks it will be "neat."

Enjoy yourself, my friend.

I've only seen Clapton twice that I can recall, in 1984 and 1994 (or so). The first show was full of bikers and he played "Cocaine". It was the "Behind the Sun" tour. The second time, Clapton was wearing a suit, was playing unplugged, no "Cocaine", no bikers, and security was enforcing a "no smoking" rule.

"The times they are a changin..."