Jambands.ca

Bob Lefsetz on Trey

boogieknight

Jimmy Buffett only went to the Universal empire when he wanted to have a HIT!

When he needed that infrastructure. What the fuck is Columbia going to do for

Trey that's worth leaving all that money on the table?

Oh, maybe Trey's delusional. He thinks he's actually going to have a hit.

Believe in yourself Trey. Be the guiding light for musicianship. Show us a

new way. To build an independent enterprise outside the corrupt major system.

This is who we thought you were. We were wrong.

Whatever Trey Anastasio's motivation was in the past, according to Mr. Lefsetz, his present motivtion is quite clear. He's looking for a hit record and he's willing to pay the corporate powerhouse that is Columbia Records to help him get one. This is actually a common theme in Mr. Lefsetz's writing: artist sells soul to corporate devil in order to gain commercial success.

According to him, Springsteen did it :thumbdown: Ryan Adams didn't :thumbup: Lefsetz's assumption that, given the current state of top 40 radio, Columbia will never be able to meet Trey's expectations is probably accurate. His further assumption that, once he realizes this , Trey will return to his roots remains to be seen.

(from Trey's most recent interview)

Shine is really the first thing you've released since Phish dissolved. Did that put more pressure on you?

Actually, it felt like less pressure. It felt like the pressure valve was off. You know, I had put out a number of albums outside of Phish, but because of the fact that Phish had become big and our organization has become big, those projects were always viewed as sort of side projects, and thus they never really got enough attention. There was never enough time to write the music or to record. There was always, ‘Well, let's get this over and done with so we can get back to Phish!' I was always rushing before.

bah.

its what trey wanted.

exactly what trey wanted.

then he got it.

and he ran from it.

now trey wants to be Bruce Springsteen, but forgets his strengths are the opposites of Bruce.

Yes, were all glad your listening to old bruce springsteen, i'm glad your staying fresh and relevant....

i'm almost embarrased that this is the frontman of a band that i revolved three-four years of my life around.....which i'd never take back in a second....but fuck, gimme a break trey.

get the band back together, and start making some decent music again, please.

It will be interesting to see if Trey returns to the band. Even though half the music industry in North America is corrupt and the other half is 10-20 years behind where music is at in terms of production and distribution, it's still very difficult for an artist (and impossible for a new artist) to have the clout, the credibilty and the guts to say to the musical powers-that-be, Go fuck yourselves. Prince, of course, being the notable exception. Mr. Lefsetz thought Trey could have and should have been another exception. Perhaps.

I just want to know if the people on this board who bash Trey have been to a recent Trey show?!? It really isn't bad at all, in fact I almost like it better than the last years of phish (where dirty kids and fights were rampant) I truly believe that all those who bash him would be dancing just as hard beside me at the show...

I haven't been to any recent Trey shows. However, I have listened to a good seven or eight shows spanning his various outings and didn't really like it too much. Some of it was really bad. I figure actually, um, listening to the music is a pretty good way to come to some sort of judgment.

Or do I still have to see a show?

Because I have no idea what dirty kids and rampant fighting have to do with anything regarding music.

been? cant.

listen to?

every one that he's played this year, that is available online...

also have his new album.

Cully, i followed Tab (w/ horns) around to about 12 shows including Red Rocks twice. I love Trey when Trey is Trey.

Not this crap.

Whether dirty kidz are there or not, his music is still weak as hell, and his live shows aren't nearly as good as they used to be (Not Talking Phish Shows Either)

I like this new band way better that the one with horns, as it took away from Trey playing guitar. Trey was basically just a conductor in that band. His new band is tight, and I truly believe that some of the new stuff will grow on you guys...don't get me wrong I do think the new stuff is cheesy (especially the new video) but these songs will evolve and the jams will get even better..just my 2 cents.

"I like this new band way better that the one with horns, as it took away from Trey playing guitar."

see, i've loved the bands trey's been a part of, where he wasn't full and in the front, the most.

Phish for one. Oysterhead for two. Tab w/ horns for three.

The Tab show in Red Rocks 2001 was better than any phish show i saw, next to Big Cypress....

"I" really loved Tab w/ horns....but that makes sense as i love jazz, big band music, and even lots of swing and bebop.

I would have to agree. When I saw Trey he was great and his new band rocked. Although, I did not dig all of his new tunes, I thought the band did a great job of jamming them out. I always thought the same about Phish and TAB. Did I like all of the songs on the album, no, but the live show was always different than the album. So the guy wants a top 40 hit or wants to try something different, why can't he?