Jambands.ca

Ornette Coleman, Toronto, Massey this Sat. Oct. 29th...

Giggles

Just wondering who might be in attendance for this show....

This evening will be a celebration of Mr. Coleman's 75 years in life. I will be front row centre for this with my friend Harvey Cowan, a former band mate(violinist)of Mr. Colman's. I have been told that Mr. Coleman is composing a piece of work that will be performed at this event only, for the special celebration.

I am so excited about this, I'm hardly able to contain myslef. Through a series of fortunate events, Mr. Cowan approached me to build him a 6-string electric violin...earlier this week he called to invite me to this show...I hope some other skanks can make it to this once in a lifetime event...

May the blessings be,

Gawpo Giggles :):):)

I saw Ornette Coleman play at the Montreal Jazz Festival. It was amazing on a technical level, but for me, asthetically, it was complete noise.

I'm down with some pretty open and free jazz ideas, but this was too much for my ears.

The band consisted of a horn section (IIRC it was two saxophones, trombone and trumpet) and then two complete rhythm sections (two drummers, two pianists, two bass players) and then Pat Metheny was sitting in (like he does for just about any big gig at the Montreal Jazz Festival).

What was so crazy was the two rhythm sections played at the same time, but in two different times, feels and keys (or at least that's what it sounded like to me). The heads of the songs (played by the horns) would jump back and forth following either rhythm section.

Then, when it was your turn to solo, you could pick a rhythm section and follow them, or switch half way through your solo, or half through the bar you were playing.. or whatever your heart desired.

So anyway, technically, it was amazing. The skill these guys had to keep everything that was going on on stage straight in their head was mindblowing. But it was just too much unorganized noise for my ears. I will, however, always recognize the importance that Coleman has in the history of jazz music. He is an inovator!