Jambands.ca

Come watch me rock out, and support a worthwhile charity in the process

TheGoodRev

Hey y'all

I'll be playing guitar for a crazy rock n' roll/cabaret/improv theatre show in Toronto, next Thurs-Sat Nov 10-12, and the following Thurs-Sat Nov 17-19. Tons of show info below, read on, and please come out!

The Show

COUNT CHOCULA'S BREAKFAST CLUB

Will the teenagers survive the night?

Will they make it to breakfast time? Everyone’s favorite retro-eighties 'Brat Pack' teen sensation THE BREAKFAST CLUB is back to serve their detention in the ‘Most Haunted House in Toronto’.

Hosted by Elvira, the youth must fend off the advances of the Count and his band of has-been monsters. Perverting the proverbial classics like Bram Stoker’s DRACULA and Michael J. Fox's TEENWOLF - The Queen's Players Toronto Presents...COUNT CHOCULA'S BREAKFAST CLUB.

The Charity

The show is a benefit for the Stephen Lewis Foundation, "a Canadian-based, foreign aid foundation dedicated to easing the pain of HIV/AIDS victims in Africa."

Some Background

In Kingston there exists a small theatre company comprised mainly of Queen's drama students (but other students as well) who call themselves the Queen's Players. Every year they put on a show that runs about a week, and it's a big deal for the student population out there, apparently the shows are really popular. The show is a musical that is anchored by a number of popular rock tunes from the past and present, with a very loose and cheeky plot tying it all together. The venue is always a pub, and it's a longstanding tradition for the audience to send drinks to the stage for the performers - who must stop mid-performance to consume said drinks - so the whole thing gets funnier as the performers get drunker.

Anyway, they've formed a counterpart Toronto company - Queen's Players Toronto, appropriately enough - who will be putting on Count Chocula's Breakfast Club.

The Band

Dave Finkelstein - Guitars, Keys

Aaron Goldstein - Guitar

Matt Heywood - Bass

Connor Thompson - Drums

Aaron Duncan - Sax

Graeme Drinkwalter - Trumpet

The Setlist

Guns & Roses - November Rain

Lauryn Hill - Everything is Everything

Blondie - One Way or Another

Pink Floyd - Money

Van Halen - You Really Got Me

Heart - Barracuda

Franz Ferdinand - Take me Out

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

[acapella]The Beatles - Help

Backstreet Boys - Backstreet's Back

Alanis Morrisette - You Oughta Know

Duran Duran - Hungry like the Wolf

Michael Jackson - Thriller

You can hold your guffaws, I didn't pick em. And to be honest, even the most weinerly tunes are sounding pretty rockin.

Details

Dates: November 10, 11, 12, 17, 18 19 (showtime 9:00pm each night) [the 12th is apparently sold out]

Venue: The Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave at Bloor, Toronto

Tickets: $15 each, available at http://www.queensplayerstoronto.com

Now listen here, folks. I realize that to some of you, this looks like 15 bucks to see a coverband and a bunch of drunk idiots acting out a ridiculous story on stage. We're not, however, making a dime here; again, it's all going to the Stephen Lewis Foundation. Also, I've never played a Players show before, but I'm told they'll all sell out anyway (Tranzac only holds 200 or so). So I'm not pimping for a crowd here, just for some Skanks to be in the crowd that we already expect. I just got back from rehearsing in Toronto, the cast sounds unreal (lots of great multi-part harmony), and the rest of the band are top-notch. They also told us that we'll be playing for between 20 and 40 minutes before each show starts, so we were busy getting a few riffs and song skeletons together. All told, it promises to be six craaazy nights. Hope to see a few of you out! Again, hit the website for tickets.

Cheers!

Knock'em dead Aaron.

Absolutely! I've heard some of his guitar work and all i can say is if the rest of the band plays at the same level he does, then you're in for a hell of a musical treat. The Good Rev for a good cause. Hope some folks can show some support!

"Tranzac only holds 200 or so"

ahaha - i'd like to see that mant people fit in there. I've been there when there were probably about 50 people, and it seemed packed. unless there's another room somewhere?

The front room is small, dirty and wonderful, but the back room is where it's at... it's a small theatre that I've heard is awesome to play. This sounds like a great show - nice work Rev :)

Knock'em dead Aaron.

Absolutely! I've heard some of his guitar work and all i can say is if the rest of the band plays at the same level he does' date=' then you're in for a hell of a musical treat. The Good Rev for a good cause. Hope some folks can show some support![/quote']

Oh, you're all too kind. Thank you Paan, Dr. J. According to the Tranzac website, Dinner is Ruined have a Wednesday night residency there. You may remember them as the band who was slated to play the El Mocombo the night of the Toronto Oysterhead show; they stepped in to open for Oysterhead at Massey Hall because the Cancer Conspiracy didn't make it over the border, and the El Mocombo had recently been closed and sold.

Anyway, looking forward to this, especially from the standpoint of my guitar playing. Doing a solid six nights with the same band, especially after all the rehearsal, will amount to each of us pushing the others to be better and better. We already sound great after only a handful of rehearsals (not to toot my own horn)(you can take that and run with it, Lazlo). Should be a good time.

i can understand wienerly tunes, but jeebus, the backstreet boys??

Hahaha

I cringed when I saw that too. The music director, though, has opted to avoid the synth altogether, and we're doing it straight with the two guitars, bass and drums. It's more like a hard-riffing radio rock tune now; better than synth-pop, anyway.

Sweet Dreams will start as the Eurythmics version but progress toward the Marilyn Manson version, as well.

hey now, shitty ass boy band and pop diva songs can be turned into greatness. i've seen scottie king take hit me baby one more time and make it gold with just him and an acoustic. i believe travis did that also.

i have faith in you revinator. i may just try to make it out to this.

edit to add: nice one with the sweet dreams transformation.

Edited by Guest

Bumpity-bump-bump

We had a weekend of three phenominal shows, two of which were oversold and packed to the rafters. What an ego trip to be rocking to a sold-out crowd of ravenous drunks. It was awesome to have phunkyb and Large Marge in attendance on Friday, nice to see you ladies, and glad you had a good time. This Friday's show is sold out, so if anybody is planning to come out this weekend, you should grab Saturday tickets in a hurry (almost sold out), or Thursday (not sold out yet, but will probably be good and full). The cast is hilarious, the band is top-notch (imho :) ) and it's generally a drunken good time! Hope to see some of you there.

Yeah, it was a doozie alright and wicked to see the Good Rev up there rockin out the old school tunage :) This show is definitely worth a gander, especially if you like to drink cheap and dirty draft, point and laugh at hilarious dance routines and reminisce with some totally offside 80s references. If you bring beers up to the stage, the actors have to stop everything and chug it before they're allowed to continue with their scene. It got a bit ugly toward the end. Thanks for the great night Rev! (and PhunkyB of course) Here's to another great week for the show :)

Cheers!