Jambands.ca

chicago, BABY!

Birdy

i'm wondering if anyone can help me out...

my girlfriends and i are heading to chicago this weekend to tear it up and i'm hoping to check out some great live blues...

could any one here suggest any venues? we're staying right downtown so something close would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

I was in Chicago two years ago. I can vouch for Kingston Mines. Three rooms of live blues going on at the same time. They get some big acts there on weekends.

I also liked Buddy Guy's Legends. It's a little corporate, but I did see Son Seals there for $10. Buddy usually gets good acts on a regular basis. Those lists that BradM sent you will serve you well.

thanks guys... however, i'm gonna be miles from jerry at all times :)

you can rest assured that i've googled the hell out of this city. google is my middle name. first hand accounts are where it's at though and i appreciate your input. i've already printed out the comprehensive list of blues clubs and folded it into the wallet.

Team scott's chicago adventure was great to read. mostly we're into touring around the city by hoof, checkin' out the architecture, eating the deep dish and listenin' to the blues. i'm really excited... even more excited now to see umphrey's and keller downtown chicago on new years eve. my triumphant return to the city! thanks scottieking.

also going to a bears game on sunday.. despite standings, i need to say "da bears" and get mighty drunk on draft beer.

all in all should be a super great weekend.. i'm thinkin.

I have been to the windy city many times for live blues. Firt, go to Buddy Guy's club Legends, it's right downtown and always killer.

Another good place is called the Hot House, very nice and quality entertainment.

Finally check out the Kingston Mines. A very old bar that used to host the likes of Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters.

That's my 2 cents Enjoy.

But go check the METERS! WOW!

I've been having to go to Chicago every week for the past 6wks, and I can't complain.

Kingston Mines is def'y a good place to go to get yo blues on and feel a little bit of the history.

My choice would be for the Meters at the HoB. Also the Tarbox Ramblers are playing the back room at the HoB which is always a fun show. Might want to consider Tortoise at the Metro (i think) on Saturday night.

Aside from the deep dish, Italian beefs, and Chicago dogs, there is so much good food to be had in Chicago. Don't hesitate to go driving around the 'burbs because it really ain't that far outta the way.