Jambands.ca

Winter Wear

phorbesie

i'm terrified of freezing to death here this winter. i want to be WARM when i am outside.

so today i got a new snowboarding jacket. i had decided i only wanted a kinda puffy down jacket, since i figured that will surely keep me warm. but the jacket i wanted was white which would get dirty so i ended up choosing a red one which is filled with polyester, not down. now i'm afraid i've made a mistake! so, people: do the polyester fillings really work to keep you warm? even here in frozenland? (or while on a frozen windy hill). i need to know. if not i am gonna return this jacket.

thanks!

Is the jacket rated down to a specific temperature? If so, I'd trust it down to there. I don't think it's so much down vs. polyester for which is warmer, as you can make a jacket that's warm down to a particular temperature out of either (though one might be thicker/heavier than the other).

Aloha,

Brad

hmmm...it doesn't say anywhere on the jacket anything about ratings or down-like ratings. or any temperatures :(

now i'm scareder!

this jacket was definitely lighter than the down one i almost bought, which the guy said was 500 down, whatever that means.

Edited by Guest

For years I had a Columbia jacket that was for spring/winter. It had an outer wind resistant shell and a polar fleece jacket that you put inside in the winter.

Last winter I splurged and bought a jacket that is down filled and almost reaches my ankles because I freeze in the winter, even with multiple sweaters under the columbia jacket.

I can seriously wear a short sleeved shirt under this new down filled jacket and stay toasty warm, unlike the Columbia jacket.

I personally think comparing the two that my down filled jacket is extremly warmer then the Columbia jacket. If you have your recipt I would return the jacket you have now for a down filled jacket.

For years I had a Columbia jacket that was for spring/winter. It had an outer wind resistant shell and a polar fleece jacket that you put inside in the winter.

Last winter I splurged and bought a jacket that is down filled and almost reaches my ankles because I freeze in the winter, even with multiple sweaters under the columbia jacket.

I can seriously wear a short sleeved shirt under this new down filled jacket and stay toasty warm, unlike the Columbia jacket.

I personally think comparing the two that my down filled jacket is extremly warmer then the Columbia jacket. If you have your recipt I would return the jacket you have now for a down filled jacket.

I think I have that same Columbia jacket and it's doing absolutley nothing for me today and this is just a taste of how cold it's going to get.

The "fill" number they refer to means how much volume in cubic inches one ounce of down will displace. Its essentially a rating of the quality of the fill. The fluffier the down, the more space it will take up and the more heat it will retain in the air pockets.

Down is wonderfully warm for the lightness and will last a long time. However, if you get it wet its useless.

Synthetic fills can provide as much heat retention as down but still keep you warm once wet. This can be a big deal if you're going to be sweating in the jacket or going anywhere over night and risk spilling water on it.

Synthetic fills also are prone to breaking. The fibres can break when they're compressed and lose heat retention. If you're not going to fold up your jacket and compress it into a little ball, this shouldn't worry you. Down can break too, but it rebounds better than synth fill.

Regardless, you're not going to know if this jacket is good enough until you wear it outside. If you're really worried about it, take it back, and get a really good down coat.

I've got a kick ass down jacket which is wonderful come -20 and beyond. BUT, anything above -20 and I'm sweating... and that's a drag too.

You can find great deals on used down jackets on the MEC used gear exchange website.

I have found great stuff there by looking up items that sound interesting then doing an internet search on the company's website to make sure it has all the qualities I want.

Bundle up and winter ain't all that bad!

thanks for the advice all.

i think i am going to return this jacket. for one thing...i got home and realized although it's nice, i'm not in love with it or anything.

then i found the down jacket i liked on the internet for a way better price, so i may get that one after all. first i'll take a look at the MEC site as suggested though.

:)

ps. kinda funny about the columbia jackets...as just last week sunshine was telling me how warm and great hers is (fleece and shell). be wary of sunshine i say!

Edited by Guest