Jambands.ca

IPOD question

c-towns

yes you have to have itunes to add music to your ipod. you get the program with your ipod. it's a kick ass winamp type program that also allows you to burn cd's and manage podcasts and stuff

no it's not true that you can't upload music from your ipod to a computer. you can. you just have to have the itunes program on the computer you're u/ling the music to.

you DO have to be running windows 2000 minimum to use itunes though.

ipods are wicked....they provide a soundtrack to your life. kick ass in my opinion.

define "any" files. itunes will automatically convert the audio files you put into itunes into mp3 when it goes on your ipod, but i'm not sure if it does the conversion when it brings the file into itunes, or onto the ipod as itunes doesn't show file extensions on playlists and in the library.

it won't convert shns or flacs though. you have to do that conversion yourself.

you can install itunes onto as many computers as you like. all you need is the 1 cd the program is on, and your ipod...you'll need the serial # off the back. the program (as all mac programs are) is SUPER easy to use. i really like that you can burn what you're listening to all in the same program.

edit to add: just to be clear, i've never had an issue bringing audio files into itunes. all you do is drag the file from where it is and drop it into your itunes library, or the playlist you want (it will automatically go into the library). it's really really, ridiculously easy. the only files i've encountered that you can't do that with is shn and flac and that's cause those are compressed.

Edited by Guest

I have an ipod photo, and i can put text files and photos on it, and view them on the screen. Audio files that it recognizes as audio, but doesnt like to play (like wma), are automatically converted into a format that it likes better.

About getting files onto a computer from the ipod - i remember trying to load my music back onto my comnputer without using itunes (i can't remember why), and you just have to make sure your computer shows hidden files in windows explorer (assuming you use a pc), then you can browse the ipod like an external drive, but it puts all the files in weird folders, so it's a pain in the ass to find exactly what you're looking for, expecially if you have lots of stuff on there.

About getting files onto a computer from the ipod - i remember trying to load my music back onto my comnputer without using itunes (i can't remember why), and you just have to make sure your computer shows hidden files in windows explorer (assuming you use a pc), then you can browse the ipod like an external drive, but it puts all the files in weird folders, so it's a pain in the ass to find exactly what you're looking for, expecially if you have lots of stuff on there.

So this is possible??

Apple does not support software that can upload music from your ipod onto another computer. This would be too easy for people who don't want to buy music to get it for free...no one does this:)

There are programs that you can do this.

If you are using a mac there is a program called SENUTI (get it?). For PC users there is a program called copypod (not as inventive) Both these programs let you put music onto another computer with itunes loaded on. Senuti is free and copypod gives you a trial period before you have to make a "donation".