Jambands.ca

Stream Phish NYE 1995 release

dave-O

Phish

12/31/95

Madison Square Garden

New York, NY

Set I: Punch You in the Eye, The Sloth, Reba, The Squirming Coil, Maze, Colonel Forbin's Ascent^-> Shine*-> Famous Mockingbird, Sparkle, Chalk Dust Torture

Set II: Drowned-> Lizards, Axilla [Part II], Runaway Jim, Strange Design, Hello My Baby, Mike's Song**

Set III: Gamehendge Time Factory# > Auld Lang Syne > Weekapaug Groove-> Sea and Sand, You Enjoy Myself, Sanity, Frankenstein

E: Johnny B. Goode

^With narration about Phish's off-tour job making time in the Gamehendge Time Factory.

*Tom Marshall sings this "Collective Soul" cover to illustrate how awful it would be if time stopped with it playing over and over on the radio.

**Ended with Trey creating a series of delay loops with his pedals.

#All 4 band members dressed as mad scientists. They were playing with synthesizers while lights flashed and Van de Graff generators zapped. Fish was raised up in a bed as Father Time and reborn as Baby New Year after the countdown); includes a song called "Finlandia" (by Jean Sibeius; main theme music for the "Die Hard" movies).

For me it's all about the third set. The whole show is amazing, but Trey really steps up in the third set, particularly during the Weekapaug. The Sea And Sand is possibly my favourite Phish cover ever. The YEM and Sanity are ridiculous and they nail the Frankenstein. The only thing I don't love about this show is the Johnny B. Goode encore. It's played well enough, but it's a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the show.