Jambands.ca

Canadian Political Leader debate on tv now.

payce-ley

Don't big announcements like that get leaked to soften up the ground though? I don't recall any of that last night. Add to that the 'constitutional scholars' in the media (CBC Radio news for one source) that say it is a monumentally bad idea...

It just doesn't seem fully thought-out to me.

AD

Legitimate non-smarmy question from me (first time in a while :) )

Was this Charter-bomb from the debate a planned piece of the platform or did Martin pull that out of thin air?

Planned. On Countdown, following the debate, Mike Duffy said that he was sent a press release about the topic the minute the words came out of Martin's mouth.

French debate. Harper actually just willingly passed on a question/rebutal opportunity (healthcare privatization ... essentially: Harper would do openly what Martin has been doing by stealth ... hard to tell whether he couldn't understand the comment or just didn't think that there was a point commenting on the obvious)

Was this Charter-bomb from the debate a planned piece of the platform or did Martin pull that out of thin air?

If this thing was planned, why no mention in the platform? Consitutional amendments should be in the platform!!

Link to CBC Story

Paul Martin is losing more and more of the shred of respect I had left for him.

AD

I get the sense that it was planned in the sense that they knew they needed to pull out something big and attention grabbing in the debate, and decided on this ... but not planned in the sense that they intended to do this a month ago, or would have done it if the situation weren't so desperate.

The result of frantic brainstorming with his advisors in the period leading up to the debate, most likely.

The result of frantic brainstorming with his advisors in the period leading up to the debate, most likely.

Not the kind of planning I want to put in power again. You don't fuck with the constitution as a result of frantic brainstorming.

Martin, strike 3. You're lucky I didn't pitch at you.

AD