Jambands.ca

Back on the Train - An Interview With Phish Road Manager Brad Sands

Cully

why do you wish i had an avatar marco? i've been avatarless and tag lineless forever....in fact i'm an avatargin....i'm waiting for marriage

and i do get away with murder here. i've taken up a silent protest actually. my boss smells SOOOOOO bad and i sit in this oh....10x14 office with him all day that i've taken to letting out some SBD's to counteract the rank odour eminating from him.

but alas, as of feb 3, this is all over and i will have a job to go to where i actually have to work all day. it's going to be a rough adjustment.

Totally I agree I have always seen Sands or less likely Palooska (perhaps too loyal at the moment) as the one's to burst the bubble. There must be a hella lot of people in the front office that could do the same. Or just imagine:

Full Of Shit -

From Backstage to the Barn

by Pete Carini

The following excerpts are from “Phish Resurface†By David Fricke for the February 12, 2003 – issue of Rolling Stone. I could not help but take some of this to heart on a recent read.

Guitarist Trey Anastasio, keyboard player Page McConnell and the band's namesake, drummer Jon Fishman, wear rolled-up dish towels over their eyes. Bassist Mike Gordon settles for a blue wool scarf. They look like prisoners awaiting a firing squad. It is early December, and Phish should be rehearsing for their first concerts in two years.

I suppose I should accept my responsibility for the whole thing," Anastasio says with a guilty laugh over dinner in a small Italian restaurant in downtown Burlington. Phish's disappearing act "was probably my idea."

"I was exploring other things," Gordon says, "but I went through this phase of reading all of my old journals, from our first jam in a dorm room to the whole blossoming career. We were releasing these live albums" -- the Live Phish series, now up to sixteen volumes -- "and I had specific thoughts about different gigs. I made a fifty-page document and sent it to the office.

"But I got nostalgic doing it," he admits. "There were so many adventures, so much fun. Reading the journals, listening to old live tapes -- I started to feel like it was going to be hard to replace this in my life." So he did something about it. Last August, he booked a getaway weekend for all four band members (again, no management or family) at a hotel in Lake Placid, New York. "I wanted to treat them in style," Gordon cracks. He bought fruit baskets for everyone's room, booked a group boat ride and typed up a list of topics for discussion, including: When will Phish play again? Anastasio already had the new songs he wanted them to play. At a Labor Day picnic he hosted at his house, Anastasio held a little listening party. "He had each of us individually get into his car, and he blasted his demos," Gordon says, grinning. "And while they were playing, he described the stage antics that might go with them." By mid-October, Paluska had booked New York's Madison Square Garden for New Year's Eve (another jam band, String Cheese Incident, had been holding the date for a possible show) and Phish had recorded and mixed Round Room.

If all these things -- having big companies and touring too much -- threaten to suck the life out of the thing that it was in the first place . . ." Anastasio doesn't care to finish the thought. Phish are up and running again. He's not interested in the alternative.

"It's very difficult for me to imagine us ever breaking up again," McConnell claims. "Maybe we take another hiatus. But as long as the four of us are alive, on the earth, Phish would exist. Because that is what we are."

There will be at least one more show, guaranteed, after this tour. "We have this series of band rules," Anastasio says, and while making the Victor Disc, "we came up with another one: We have to play one show when we're in our eighties." He almost chokes on his own laughter. "That's the new band rule. Of course, that means we have to stay alive."