Jambands.ca

lemonheads

meggo

I'm going to pass on it. It seems to be the only thing happening this weekend, but I'm not a big fan of Lemonheads / Evan Dando*, and it's a Zaphod's show (not my favourite venue). I think I'll stay home (all weekend, unless I hear of something), chill out, and rest up.

Aloha,

Brad

* It's not that I dislike them/him, it's just that I've never listened to them, and so don't know that I like their/his music.

*bump*

Am I gonna see anyone else there tonight?

I think I might check this out. I was unsure, but after reading in the XPress article that he'll be playing some vintage Lemonheads, I'm thinkin' it'll be a good night.

A buddy of mine put together a compilation of some of his solo acoustic stuff, and it's great - including a cover of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know?", although I'm betting we won't be hearing that one.

FYI for anyone who's still around and thinking of going:

I just called Zaphod's, and they told me that Evan Dando is going on at ten and playing a one-hour set. (Funnily enough, this now has me leaning more towards going, as I can't have a late one tonight).

Also, I just checked out the setlist from Montreal, and it seems to be quite the "Greatest Hits" type of package. Here are the songs he played, by album (lifted off an Evan Dando board I found):

Lick album:

Come Back DA

Lovey album:

Half the time

Ride with me

Stove

It's a Shame album:

Confetti

It's a shame...

Rudderless

My drug buddy

Turnpike down

Alison's starting to happen

Hannah & Gabi

Frank Mills

Come On Feel...:

Into your arms

Down about it

Being around

Car Button Cloth album:

Outdoor type

Hospital

Baby I'm bored album:

My Idea

The same things you thought...

All my life

Why do you do this to yourself

He also did Frying Pan, 2 new songs and finished with a Ben Lee song (don't know the title though).

----------

Looks like it'll be a good show - I'm now looking forward.

Peace,

Hart

Very good show last night at Zaphods! Evan Dando was in fine form belting out his tunes accompanied by himself on a beaten up acoustic guitar that sounded a lot better than it looked. Far from the trainwreck I half-expected, Dando's set asserted his continued relevance as a performer and it's a shame that he only had an hour to play.

There was some concern when Evan was setting up with assistance from opener John Kastner. Evan looked completely lost and it looked like Kastner was helping someone with special needs as he strapped Dando's guitar on him. But after a quick joke about alcoholics anonymous Dando came alive and performed with a surprising amount of confidence.

The crowd was pretty thick up front and gave Dando a lot of support. Aside from the fact that shows finish at 11 PM, despite the momentum a show such as this one had, I forgot how much I enjoyed seeing a show at Zaphods. Ah... good times at the Beeb!

John Kastner, formerly of the Doughboys, played a decent opening set on electric guitar but it would have sounded better with a band. I only recognized "Shine".