Jambands.ca

Sweden plans to be world's first oil-free economy

StoneMtn

Sweden is to take the biggest energy step of any advanced western economy by trying to wean itself off oil completely within 15 years - without building a new generation of nuclear power stations.

The attempt by the country of 9 million people to become the world's first practically oil-free economy is being planned by a committee of industrialists, academics, farmers, car makers, civil servants and others, who will report to parliament in several months.

Read full article here.

I read somewhere recently that Iceland was also on the verge of becoming oil-free. I understand that they are hoping to tap their volcanic activity to produce power.

I'd seen something on daily planet this week about that. They're using geothermal energy to heat most buildings in urban centres and want to be the first country in the world to move from a oil to a hydrogen based economy.

I'm being slayed with slippery fun legumes today.

...apparrently my mum too...man that woman can fart....sheepers! :blush:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....so can mine like no other woman OR man for that matter. she farted on my head once when I was a kid sitting on the floor - she thought it was funny - I blame her for my 5ft frame. :P

Last week George Bush surprised analysts by saying that the US was addicted to oil and should greatly reduce imports from the Middle East. The US now plans a large increase in nuclear power.

that is amazing news (other than the US building nuclear plants). someone mentioned Iceland as being in the same position...they are working on poowering everything by geothermal energy...steam turbines creating electricilty splitting water to gain hydrogen.

it'll be interesting to see where this goes...

saw something on discovery on iceland a few months ago, gave a tour of one of their geo-therm power plants, it was staffed by 1 or 2 ppl in total, it was so clean you could eat off the floor. amazing really, even the architecture was very sleek and modern, seems they have their shit together up there.

I read somewhere recently that Iceland was also on the verge of becoming oil-free. I understand that they are hoping to tap their volcanic activity to produce power.

Iceland are all over tapping the thermal heated water from their volcano's... at least 2 of their cities get their power, heat their homes and businesses and get all their hot water this way

takes like 2 people to run one of their power stations, and they're spotless