Jambands.ca

todays dilemma

bONES

uh.. he's not a "union member".. no pack to separate from.

I am however a member of the Boilermakers Union local 128.

who actually is on strike here?

is it union code that if you belong to one particular union' date=' you have to respect the strikes of [i']all unions?

i find that intensely disturbing.

is it union code that if you belong to one particular union, you have to respect the strikes of all unions?

Not necissarily, but to a certain extent yes. I think there are certain cases (Unions) that give all the other unions a bad name, such as CUPE. Their threat of a wild cat strike, while still under contract was a disgrace. Unions like this tend to hold the public hostage, I called that one unionist terrorism.

This is NOT the case in this dispute. They have been without a contract since Aug 31 and 75% of the members voted to strike, legally. ref

Why would manegment take conscessions off the table when the members have already voted to strike? This is baffling to me.

Edited by Guest

I'm certianly not going to get into much discussion on this topic here, but theres no way I will cross a picket line of any union for any reason. (personal decision)

My union hasn't striked since '90, but thats when we decided on having an arbitrator instead, we respect other unions, we've have also gone out and shown support by picketing with striking unions.

Well, I definately support the strike...but if you are worried about $$$ then you'll have to make the choice...Boiler Rat seems to have an alternative for you...that's the choice I would make.

Also...if you do go into work at school, make sure you don't do a unionized job...that could get you in some serious trouble.

holy banana peels

good advice/opinions peeps

boiler rat...you made some very good points.

I think calling my union hall would have been a good move on my part. I'm sure i know what their answer would be..."don't cross the picket line"!

But i should hear it from a union rep instead of assuming the answer.

ollie and Birdy also had some good advice.

do your own thing. bring back some individualism.
When push comes to shove your just another number to them. Look out for yourself.

rubberdinghy..it was this advice i went with

But if you do cross the line, sneak in the back door, but also show your support in other ways.

CyberHippie...

Where's your avatar from Bones?

my avatar is a welder not a wizard

boiler rat said;

Nope, but lucikly for cowboy, if he chooses he can go back to the trade union and find work and not have to cross a picket line to teach to an empty class.

I've worked towards becoming a welding teacher since day one of my training. This is where i want to be, and if i am offered full-time then i will gladly accept and join those out on the picket line.

Just so folks know what i am up against. A full-time welding instructor makes $96/hr. i am part-time and make $39.22/hr

that's a big freakin gap! especially when i only get part-time hours (12 week)

anyway...I am here at the school. I'm sitting in a classroom with 2 students, waiting on greased up, deaf-naked guy

It's a tough decision Cowboy. I can understand not wanting to go back out in the field (especially on a damn tank in the winter). That's why I try to stay as a Nukey, it's much warmer (glowing warm in fact :cool:) . They wanted me to take that job on the tank as a welder, had to say no, I only have a CWB and not enough experience to go out as a welder.

In the summer, when Hydro One went on strike, they picketed Pickering and I didn't cross then, but it was agreed that we would give them one day, any further picketing at our site (technically Hydro One doesn't have anything to do with the generation of electricity) but we did give them the day out of respect to unionism and then told them to picket at their own sites.

Good luck cowboy, hopefully the strike/new contract will benifit you for the future.

edit: and luck to Dr Evil Mouse as well and all other Skanks (teachers and students, if not especially for the students). If this happened a week earlier, I wouldn't have finished my apprenticship at Humber College. (I just wrote my Red Seal exam Friday).

On a realated note (not that I'm trying to recruit, I'm just a nobody) but there is going to be a MAJOR shortage of Boilermakers next month. My Dad (who's supervision) said he just got the list of all the boilermakers req. for next month and the boilermakers available and it doesn't add up.

I understand there's an active recruitment going on overseas (especially England) to bring workers to the oil patch in Ft McMurray (yuck). They're even talking hooking these people up with citeznship. (My friend/boilermaker/immigrant from Belfast is NOT happy with this lol).

So if anyone out there wants to try "permiting" with the boilermakers, next month may be the time to try, especially if you hold welding tickets.

P.M. me if you want the phone number for our hall and I can hook you up.

I don't think you can use my name at the hall, being that I'm still technically an apprentice (just have a few more hours to complete), so my name won't (doesn't :() mean much. .

Edited by Guest