Jambands.ca

todays dilemma

bONES

the college teachers are on strike.

my employment is divided up between Continuing Education and the Technology Department at George Brown. I am part-time and therefore not in the OPSEU union. I am however a member of the Boilermakers Union local 128.

I have the option of going to school today and doing...nothing, but get paid!

or i can respect the union code of etiquette and refuse to cross the picket line.

i could really use the money (i'm about to put an offer in on the house i live in) but feel like it's morally wrong.

help!

advice?

thoughts?

i have to leave soon if i'm going

don't go to work.

don't go to work.

don't go.

There's gonna be a pile of work next month. I'm headin to the Bruce. Put your name on the list. Johnny's looking for welders to go to a Tank right now.

The intermediates are supposd to start school next week, looks like they're gonna get screwed.

(sorry bout the shop talk)

Fuck the strikers, cross the picket line. If you need to get paid, you need to get paid.

Edit to add: I'm heavily biased against unions due to rules like seniority (giving jobs to those that are there the longest rather the those that are most qualified is just plain stupid) and the inability to fire the absolutely terrible workers (I've worked with folks whose negligence caused injury and still it took 3 verbal warnings then 2 written warnings then some court dates to get rid of them) so my opinion is also heavily biased. Perhaps some unions are good but I have yet to experience it.

I am however a member of the Boilermakers Union local 128.

As a member of an trade union myself (IBEW) & in my opinion, my friend, your above comment answers your question.

Edited by Guest

Fuck the strikers, cross the picket line. If you need to get paid, you need to get paid.
i'm with mattm. the biggest thing that i detest about unions is that they completely ignore the people who truly want to work, irregardless of 'solidarity'.

do your own thing. bring back some individualism.

yeah, let's have union members start to just ignore strikes, cross picket lines and forget solidarity. That's smart.

Seperate from the pack and make the duck easier to shoot.

Cowboy, call the Hall brother.

Edited by Guest

that's a tough one...

If your union is not on strike, go in and get paid. As a part timer you don't get the same perks a union member gets. You also won't recieve strike pay, even though it's probably nothing anyways.

But if you do cross the line, sneak in the back door, but also show your support in other ways.

tough call - sorry you have to make this decision but thinking long term - what if they strike for 3 months are you able to go without pay for that long.

I see what everyone is saying with the whole union - moral dilemma but you don't belong to this union - if that helps which means you're skrewed for $$$ this city is too expensive to go indefinitely without pay

oh and good luck with the house too!

Fuck the strikers' date=' cross the picket line. If you need to get paid, you need to get paid. [/quote']
i'm with mattm. the biggest thing that i detest about unions is that they completely ignore the people who truly want to work, irregardless of 'solidarity'.

do your own thing. bring back some individualism.

yeah, let's have union members start to just ignore strikes, cross picket lines and forget solidarity. That's smart.

he doesn't belong to this particular union which means he's skrewed for this particular strike.

I agree with most everything that everyone has said. You're obviously respectful towards the union ideals but my interpretation, is that you owe nothing to the specific union that is currently on strike as they don't hold you're interests in their cause, why should you hold their's? Just cause you are a union member, doesn't mean you have to bend over backwards for union you're not a part of. So.....

If you need a decoy to get through the lines, I'll drop a shoulder, or my pants and run around screaming in high pitch, high volume:

"I'm greased up, deaf-naked guy, don't hate me, I'm just doing my thing."

uh.. he's not a "union member".. no pack to separate from.

from that CBC article bradm refrenced:

The union says the key issue is quality of education. It wants improvements to the workload formula to ensure smaller classes, more full-time instructors and more faculty time for students.

Cowboy, is this not an issue that directly affects you and the other part time teachers? If the full time members are willing to fight for you, you better be prepared to stand with them in this contract dispute.

Sure you may loose a paycheque or two, but what about the paycheques of the future?