Jambands.ca

Wish I lived in Chicago!

lara

That is indeed perhaps the single greatest night of music one could hope for in one town in the jamband world.

Going to Phish Halloween '95 in Chicago we were so worried, understandably, about this GREAT pot (chemo, friesland, jack herer) we had stowed in the body of the Lincoln - get to this really sleepy border station with one guy working and he goes 'you got a gun', startled our driver goes 'no, of course not', he responds 'you goin' to Chicago you ain't got a gun? Bwah bwah bwah' laughs like a redneck and sends us on our way.

I know I'll get a more than a few rolled eyes for this but I'd be most excited to hear Apollo Sunshine tonight.

(On the same drive to Halloween, it was the night of the Quebec referendum that came really really close and we were trying to tune in the results and occasionally we'd get an update on AM somewhere and it was like 50.6% Oui or whatever. We wondered if our country would be in one piece when we returned.)

That is indeed perhaps the single greatest night of music one could hope for in one town in the jamband world..

Great story. I have a love hate relationship with the border, but anyways....

The above statement has to be one of the most subjective things I've ever heard in my life. What about when The Biscuits, The Dead and Claypool descended on Red Rocks and Boulder? What about the night the Biscuits played New Years in NYC and among the many aftershows was the Duo with Gordon or Brothers Past and Lotus? What about festivals? What about, back before I even had pubic hair, when the Dead played NYE and Phish played after? Not to bust balls, just that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

oops.. sorry. i mean as in 'can' happen now (in the same capacity) that it did before.. we're not going to see another NYE double bill of the grateful dead and phish. if we did, that would be trippy.

as for the DB, i'd take a night of um and the slip in chicago over their shows. no offense, of course.. i know you love 'em. :)

Exactly, no offense taken. 'Your favorite band sucks as much as mine' was the general vibe I was getting at. I can still think of another dozen co-bills and late night shows that I'd rather see but that's anti-productive at this point.

On another note. Ya know what really grinds my gears? The fact that this 'lil Canadian Jamband Scene revolves around BSS hype, a bunch of two-bit jambands, and a whole lot of complaining about the lack of the American Jamband scene coming to visit. And the term jamband is wearing very thin on me. And this, Canada, is what grinds my gears.

BSS is NOT a jamband.

the canadian 'jamband' scene IS small.

the word 'jamband' itself is thin.

'jambands' are fewer and further between, and they're certainly not prevalent at all anymore. there are a great many canadian rock n roll bands that can jam like motherfuckers, and thats where its at. the canadian MUSIC scene is stronger than it's ever been.

On another note. Ya know what really grinds my gears? The fact that this 'lil Canadian Jamband Scene revolves around BSS hype, a bunch of two-bit jambands, and a whole lot of complaining about the lack of the American Jamband scene coming to visit. And the term jamband is wearing very thin on me. And this, Canada, is what grinds my gears.
More focus on Canadian musicians stepping up to the plate.

BSS is Canadian...

More focus on Canadian musicians stepping up to the plate. Less complaining about American acts not coming up North.

Hmm...

So you dont wish more American bands visited???

In terms of 'jambands' can you give me some examples of which Canadian bands are stepping up to the plate?