Jambands.ca

Now I've seen it all: Barenaked Ladies on nugs.net!

Basher

Yeah, both are on the cd 'Boogasm', and so is a great fuckin' song called 5.

Now there was a fun band live. One time at Zaphods Jaymz had a guy bring in two ice cream cones, a chocolate and a vanilla, and had the guy shove both up the drummers ass. And I mean up his ass. Great Bob Scott (the drummer) comes front of stage, drops his pants and bends over and this guy smears the ice creams up his ass crack one after another. Then he pulled his pants back up and finished the set.

Fun band!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not a Barenaked Ladies fan, but the Look People are another story entirely... loved those guys

me any my roommate first caught them when I was living in Toronto and they were called "The Hatfield/McCoy Jubilee Tribute Revival" before they changed their name... Jaymz Bee, the singer, was an insane ball of energy and the band played off the map, for all 12 of us at Lee's Palace that night... fantastic stuff like "Do the Charelton Heston" where Jaymz would slip on a paper mask with eye holes cut out and Charelton's stern face staring out (each chorus J.B. would do the craziest dance I've ever seen, to date) and another favorite ditty, "I Want To Be, Tony Iommi"

actually just met the bass player (Walter) after he played with his band at Pepper Jacks (can't think of the name right now), fun jazzy act, kind of a latin groove... didn't recognize him but was truly impressed by his playing so stuck around to shoot the shit after they were done... he said I looked familiar so we started bringing up venues and shows and such then he mentioned he used to play for the Look People... was like all of a sudden realizing you're talking to Phil Lesh for me

Edited by Guest

They lost me a bit when their original keyboardist/conga player (Andy Creeggan, the bass players' brother) left the band after their second cd to study music at McGill,

Agreed about Gordon. I don't play it very often anymore but it is a solid record from start to finish and still very enjoyable.

Andy Creegan lived in the Glebe for a year starting about 3 summers ago, he was going to teacher's college at U of O. He lived next door to a friend of mine and we had a BBQ once. I smeared ketchup and beef all over his ass. No, I made that last part up. But the rest is true.

AD

Great band. Wrong scene, perhaps? Perhaps not, though.

I was watching them perform for the Live 8 thing last year, hadn't seen or heard them in years -- what struck me was that they looked like they were straining against what the event planners, network people and fans present were expecting to just break out of what they were playing and go into some new musical territory.

I've never been a "fan" and I thought their success in the early '90s nearly rendered them irrelevant, but I've always had respect for them -- they're talented and clever, and work well as a band. I saw them for the first time on City-TV in musta been '91 when they used the Speaker's Corner thing for a little video (they couldn't afford to produce one at the time) for their Yoko Ono song. It was fun and I was impressed.

Yeah, they might be just a litle too poppy, but I think going the jam/improv route could do a lot to make them an even better band -- and I agree with Velvet that they're a fantastic band (sorry Chameleon, you're still a wonderful human being).

Respectfully disagree. While the Ladies may be a competent quirky POP act. A jam band, or improvised music band they are not. I don't see why they are on Nugs.net. Wrong scene.

My 2 cents.

Hey,

I'll resist the temptation to ask how you know better than nugs.net what's good for it.

...but I have to say this...

The Ladies improvise as part of EVERY show. They are also startlingly good at it. At every show, they compose, in real time, at least one (sometimes two or three) song(s) on stage. They range from silly to quite cool. Listen to shows form one night to the next if you don't believe.

Their improv sections are not the same as a typical jamband, but what's typical?

The Dead?

Phish?

Umphreys?

Nero?

Leo Kotke?

Fairly radically different musical styles I would say.

Jef

P.s.In the past 10 years when I've tried to hip a BNL fan to Phish or even the dead the most common negative response has been that it is too "quirky". Funny...

Maybe it's just the difference between an open mind or not.

Why do they do this?

because they can' date=' and they're good at it, and it's entertaining, and why not?

ad

[/quote']

Some would find it entertaining, but for me there's an element of grandstanding here that i just can't seem to get past and again makes it diificult for me to take these guys seriously.

Go out and buy their most recent studio album 'Everything to Everyone.' It's one of the smartest, well-written and interesting musically political statements I've heard in ages. It's a brilliant record.. Just as good as Gordon, IMO and one of my favourite records of 2004.

"Maybe You Should Drive" is a fine fine album too.

Interesting too to consider that it was a live album that really broke them in the US.

I say, give me an entertaining improv with humour and wit over an endless guitar solo anyday!

Some musicians just take themselves so seriously. It's so tiresome to listen to sometimes.

I must confess that my musical knowledge of the Ladies has been limited to radio and it's obvious from what folks are saying that I'm going to have to dig a little deeper, because I also confess that silly songs about monkeys on postcards just doesn't do it.

Some would find it entertaining, but for me there's an element of grandstanding here that i just can't seem to get past and again makes it diificult for me to take these guys seriously.

I think a concert is a fine place for grandstanding. You're already on a stage, people have paid you to be there to see your talent, give'r I say.

:)

AD

I think a concert is a fine place for grandstanding. You're already on a stage, people have paid you to be there to see your talent, give'r I say.

:)

AD

Yes, I understand that Ad and that's my problem. I have never sought out a context for what the Ladies do - a full album - a live show etc. - but there are those in this thread whose musical opinions I respect that have convinced me it may be worth doing.

I can't knock the Ladies since their brilliant cover and equally brilliant video for Bruce Cockburn's Loverss In A Dangerous Time. The live version of Brian Wilson smokes too.

Jaimoe.

It's interesting that the two things that you mention are the two things that broke them in Canada and the US respectively.

You must know some stuff.

Jef

I can't knock the Ladies since their brilliant cover and equally brilliant video for Bruce Cockburn's Loverss In A Dangerous Time. The live version of Brian Wilson smokes too.

Jaimoe.

It's interesting that the two things that you mention are the two things that broke them in Canada and the US respectively.

You must know some stuff.

Jef

I knew about Brian Wilson. MTV2 played the hell out of the live video, promting their breakthrough into the US market. I don't think Lovers was ever a hit in the States. Neither was the annoying Million Dollars tune.