Jambands.ca

Now I've seen it all: Barenaked Ladies on nugs.net!

Basher

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those guys are fantastic.

I used to really like them back in the early '90s before they really "made it" and I saw them quite often back then, and then I lost interest. Since then, though, I've seen them quite a lot as they seem to show up at many shows that I attend to see other bands. Every time, I walk out saying, "Wow! Why do I think of them as silly? Those guys are great musicians, and great showmen."

Great band. Wrong scene, perhaps? Perhaps not, though.

Respectfully disagree. While the Ladies may be a competent quirky POP act. A jam band, or improvised music band they are not. I don't see why they are on Nugs.net. Wrong scene.

My 2 cents.

I don't think that nugs.net is tied to one scene. They really can't be if they want to make any money.

I once disliked and made fun of the Barenaked Ladies. Then I heard the song Sell, Sell, Sell that they wrote and submitted on the Gas CD. I immediately developed huge respect for them.

Find it. It's up there with one of my favourite songs of alltime. The most intelligent criticism of the Bush admin I've heard through song.

Stephen.

At my first Dead-related show (PLQ @ SPAC 2001) I was talking to the people in the seats around me, mentioned I was from Canada, and I was surprised that so many of them were BNL fans. So there is crossover.

But, credit to their success aside, I still think they suck.

weren't they part of one of those early 90's touring festivals/shows?

i have a furtherfest? show from early 90's with a soundboard recording of BNL.

I am quite certain they never played Further Fest; certainly not at any of the ones I attended.

Also, Further Fest didn't happen until the late-90s.

how is this not free? who'd pay for that?

Same folks as would pay for this...I guess.

"Ships and Dip"

That's a pretty cheap cruise compared to the jammy related ones.

That's your cabin rate only.

I have a hard time taking this band seriously (from a musical perspective) and events like this one don't make it any easier - "a rollicking karaoke party"- I guess, if you're a fan.

weren't they part of one of those early 90's touring festivals/shows?

i have a furtherfest? show from early 90's with a soundboard recording of BNL.

They were part of one of the last H.O.R.D.E. tours tat came to Toronto. They played decent but most of the crowd left for the other stage that Gov't Mule was playing. Then a wave of University/College perp-jock types moved in from the other areas. Weird scene.

I must have bounced between Mule and BNL at that Horde show 'cuz I know I saw both, but frankly I thought I saw all of both sets.

Anyway I gotta say, if anyone questions how musically good the band is, really all you have to do is listen to their first CD 'Gordon', it's brilliant in so many different ways, and I would easily have in my top ten cds of the 1990's, probably in the top five. I still put it on quite often. They lost me a bit when their original keyboardist/conga player (Andy Creeggan, the bass players' brother) left the band after their second cd to study music at McGill, but I was glad to see they grabbed the guy from The Look People to replace him (anyone remember The Look People?).

I urge you to give them a chance; give Gordon a spin.