Jambands.ca

Now I've seen it all: Barenaked Ladies on nugs.net!

Basher

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was definitely American appreciation for "If I had $1 000 000", even though it came later than in Canada. I know this because of a story shared with me by an American of being freaked out while spun at a BNL show and seeing dozens of boxes of "mac and cheese" flying through the air.

Gordon brings back so many memories.

Enid especially hit home back in the day..

reminds me of my first girlfriend..

"And it’s not fair to say that it’s ’cause

I was only fifteen years old."

"But maybe it’s fair to say it was a lack of communication"

"I always thought that she fancied my brother.."

well, guess what... now they're married! :D

I can't knock the Ladies since their brilliant cover and equally brilliant video for Bruce Cockburn's Loverss In A Dangerous Time. The live version of Brian Wilson smokes too.

Jaimoe.

It's interesting that the two things that you mention are the two things that broke them in Canada and the US respectively.

One of the times I saw Bruce Cockburn, about 10 or 12 years ago, he said "I've spent my whole career doing covers of other people's songs, and I've always waited for someone to cover one of mine. Well, it finally happened."

For some reason, I was expecting Lovers in a Dangerous Time ...

Bruce went on to say, "... Jerry Garcia covered this one..." and of course he played Waiting for a Miracle.

Now, of course it's cooler to have Jerry cover your tunes than BNL, but I still thought it was a bit of a callous way to put the whole thing, given that BNL had already had a big hit in Canada with one of his songs. I do suspect, though, that Cockburn would be the first person to be appalled that he might have offended anyone, if he realized.

(I think it made me laugh at the time, but then again when I was at shows in the early '90s, it didn't take too much to send me into hysterical laughter... ;) )