Jambands.ca

Toronto Streetfest

Mr. Musicface

Hey hey! So I'm thinking I'll probably catch at least some of the Streetfest this weekend. Yonge & Eglinton looks most promising in my books:

http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/streetfest/streetfest_eglinton.htm

Most notable are Big Sugar tomorrow and Burt Neilson Band (!) Sunday. Some other good bands there depending on your taste. And of course, it's all FREE 'cus you already paid for it with your taxes! Thanks Mel.

Anyway, anyone thinking of checking any of these out?

Peace,

Mr. M.

Lovemethod might be worth checking out. At least they were pretty good about 3 years ago when I caught them at the cozone one time.

As for Big Sugar, if Freeker wasn't playing I might check them out. Although these days Gordie's ego is so huge, there isn't much room left for good music.

quote:

Lovemethod might be worth checking out. At least they were pretty good about 3 years ago when I caught them at the cozone one time.

I've actually never seen them, but I believe their CD was produced by the same guy who did the last Uncle Seth CD, the very excellent Brian Moncarz. Thanks for the tip!

quote:

As for Big Sugar, if Freeker wasn't playing I might check them out. Although these days Gordie's ego is so huge, there isn't much room left for good music.

Yeh, I was thinking of maybe trying to do both - they're on at 9:30 and I'm assuming Freeker wouldn't start 'til 11 or so. I actually haven't seen Big Sugar in years, but they used to be one of my favorite live bands, and Kelly Hoppe is definitely an influence for me as a harp player.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Lovemethod - Quite a good band when I saw them 3 years ago too at the Comfort Zone (Have they played more than once?)

My friend Jason did sound on their first Cd so I got to know the guys a little bit back then. Two words: Endless partiers. Fond memories of the P-Funk/Fat Cats concert in frickin' nowhere Ontario around that time, partying with those guys and being shocked by the amount of Fungi they were packing. I seem to remember their sounds as being rocky and somewhat funky, with a lead singer who's credits include singing at Canada's wonderland, and a guitarist who reeks of Lenny Kravitz (good for some, bad for others?)

That's all I know.

Big Sugar had a pretty good sound, for about the first 5 minutes (or 5 beers). If you're into bands that are stuck in that mid-nineties raunch-rock genre, then check it out - are they still sponsored by Giorgio Armani?

One Canadian band worth seeing (although hardly a jam band) is the Kingpins (quintessential Canadian Ska).

They too, are fronted by a slightly arrogant vocalist, but when you've rocked for as long and hard as Lorraine Kingpin, I think you're a little more entitled. 2PM at Dundas Sq. - and there's a BEER GARDEN!!!

Hey, actually my wife just called me to point out that the openning cermonies for this are tonight, and Gordie and Kelly from Big Sugar are doing an acoustic thing at Yonge & Ed AND the huge bonus is Sarah Slean!

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/special_events/streetfest/streetfest_open.htm

I might actually go out tonight for that and skip Big Sug tomorrow in favor of Freeker.

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

I actually haven't seen Big Sugar in years, but they used to be one of my favorite live bands, and Kelly Hoppe is definitely an influence for me as a harp player.

I used to really like them also, back in 98 or so they were putting on pretty great shows. I caught them a year or two ago and it was downright awful. The only time it was good was for the encore, when Gordie and Jeff Martin did some acoustic jamming. It seemed like they were playing a lot of new material, which in my mind was generic, canadian, pop drivel. Maybe it was just a bad night though... My wife really like Big Sugar, so we may go check it out. Hey, it's free... and Kelly Hoppe is a great musician, he plays some funky instruments.

Oh and I'll probably check out BNB on Sunday.

Gordie Johnson is such a nose-candy freak. He's allskinny and smug an can't stand still. it makes me nervous to see him. Too bad too cause the other guys in the band are seriously heavy players now. but I do agree that the music has gotten worse these past three years.

BTW, where is HF playing tomorrow. I am so inlove with Serena. Dan Kay introduced us in Mtl and then 20 min later Paul comes over and she's like, "This is my husband, Paul" and I was like Goddamit, Goddamit, Goddamit. but we're all friends now.

quote:

I am so inlove with Serena. Dan Kay introduced us in Mtl and then 20 min later Paul comes over and she's like, "This is my husband, Paul" and I was like Goddamit, Goddamit, Goddamit. but we're all friends now.

LOL, I've heard so many variations of this story involving Serena! Paul must be watching his back at all times. [Wink]

They are at Racho Relaxo:

http://www.toronto.com/profile/147138/

- M.

I like the dub pulse of the Sugar, was surprised by how much I enjoyed what might have been a really cheesy show at the Club Denim in Guelph a while back. Can't say I'd miss Burt for free in the heart of the old hood. Although it went Back To The Future II all around that area now. Don't even recognize it anymore, is Inti Crafts still above the pizza shop next to Vortex?

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

Don't even recognize it anymore, is Inti Crafts still above the pizza shop next to Vortex?

Don't think so. Lot's of changes - best one is that Ed's has moved south from the other side of Broadway, which is actually a plus 'cus it's closer to Vortex and to the subway. And the HMV being there is actually cool 'cus you can go in there, laugh at their idiotic prices and then go across and get the same new releases at Ed's for 2 or 3 dollars less! I do miss Forkchops/Zyng thou... only one left in Toronto now.

The absolute saddest thing about that 'hood is the demise of the York - we used to see everything, probably the coolest theatre in the city. Silver friggin' City just ain't the same. [Frown]

- M.

Yeah, seriously. I left the hood for six years to live in Montreal and it's not the same. The platform where the exercise club and is now a Silver City was my piss and smoke platform where me and this dyke friend of mine would hang out, hack dangs and take pisses. We called the PS platform (so original).

At least they could have made the silvercity a trip like the Paramount downtown, which is my ne favourite place to dose. Just ride upand down that escalator all night man. So fucking cool.

Thanks for the Rancho tip. And Paul is well aware of my crush on his wife. I think he just expects it.

Archived