Jambands.ca

Fat Cats 2006-04-20 Hamilton

Esau

Well, I got it up, although I'm a bit disappointed with myself, it appears that I didn't reset the input volume before Fat Cats went on stage resulting in the volume being a little louder then I usually like to have it.

The sound itself at the show was up, so I really should have been on top of it. You can hear what I'm talking about during the first two tracks, especially in the vocals (as noted), mainly Todd's. I did realize during the second song and had the output from the board to my recorder turned down (thanks Doug), but its still sorta loud.

But, thats 420 for ya I guess... ;)

Don't let a short looking set fool ya, especially the smoking "Cookin", about 4:20 minutes in, awesome stuff, great jam. Also, the opener(s) kick ass, can't remember the last time a Fatties show opened with "You & Doobie Break" (first time?), either way, full force. Its great to see 'Absolute Route' gettin played more lately too.

Fat Cats

The Pepper Jack Cafe

Hamilton, ON

2006-04-20

You

Doobie Break

Down Again

Waiting For Spring

Can you see them now * >

Teaspoon

Absolute Route

Cookin'

Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox >

Maraca's

Notes:

- volume levels were up at the begininng of the show on the stage, SBD & my recorder (previous band setting), especially the vocals. I turned down my input levels after the second song, but they are still sort of loud. The stage volume remained pretty loud during the first half of the show, which is represented in the amount of feedback on stage you can hear throughout.

* New song

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=36011

Now to get that '95 show up...

Esau, have you considered getting/using mics rather than relying on the soundboard? (I guess my approach is the complement [not opposite] to yours, in that I always use mics, as I find it gives me greater control over the quality of the recording, along with more of a "live" feel to the end result.)

Aloha,

Brad

Esau, have you considered getting/using mics rather than relying on the soundboard? (I guess my approach is the complement [not opposite] to yours, in that I always use mics, as I find it gives me greater control over the quality of the recording, along with more of a "live" feel to the end result.)

There are certainly numerous examples of outstanding shows done both ways available out there. That being said, 90% of the time I'd take a soundboard recording over a mic recording any day. Especially if the venue is micing the amps on stage and running it through the PA.

Aside: The soundboard recording that I did of John And The Sisters at PJC is amazing sounding.

oh man this show is blowing my mind. i dont think i've had the pleasure of listening to a show i attended so soon after. Thanks for the good work esau.

Is "cookin'" a normal song the band plays? because i know for sure i've heard the bass line from that song used as a short solo in another song. I asked Dave to bust' out that solo and he ended up playin' in for the entire song. what a way to satisfy a request!

Brad,

Yep, considered it many times. But that would also require purchasing a new rig, pre-amp(?) and mics right?. Somthing I'm not currently capable of covering right now. I did have more control over the recording when I had my laptop, but since it was ruined on my birthday last year, thats no longer an option.

Outside of a couple folks like larry_llama & \/\/illy, Hamilton seems to have lost all our tapers, personally I enjoy recording immensely, but recording isn't my strong point, as has been mentioned by many a listener of my recordings.

Is "cookin'" a normal song the band plays? because i know for sure i've heard the bass line from that song used as a short solo in another song. I asked Dave to bust' out that solo and he ended up playin' in for the entire song. what a way to satisfy a request!

Cookin' is a Fat cats tune, played countless times over the years, always a favourite of mine also. Not to sure about the bass line, but anythings possible.

Thanks for the kind words kookycanooky. Always appreciated.

It's fun fun fun to work with all the different devices at once. Well, actually, if you are planning on enjoying the music and atmosphere while you're there, forget it. You'll spend the whole night fuddling, tweating, re-listening, setting up, tearing down, worrying about theft, etc. I'll continue to do it for 'special' shows but I can't imagine wanting to make a hobby of it. Now, in a controlled atmosphere like my attic, a full recording studio is VERY appealing.

Can you guys recommend an awesome starter show for someone (me) who hasn't heard the band before?

Thanks!

Well the guys have gone through a few member changes over the years, from being a 6 (somtimes 7) piece band with a female singer (92-94) to a 4 piece, now back to a 5 piece (perfect number), so the reccomendations will vary, at least from me.

My picks:

[color:red]1992-1994

1993-01-20 (radio program great intro of who they are/were)

1994-04-01 Merritt Hall

[color:red]1996-1997

1996-06-26 Town Hall, Field BC (acoutstic full band, 1st west coast tour)

1997-02-28 Mrs. Robinsons (FM broadcast) (great show)

1997-09-16 (acoustic full band) La Lunas (1st show with new drummer at the time, Joel Stouffer, also, original organ player Tyler playing))

[color:red]1998-2000

1998-03-12 The Vault St. Catherines

1999-03-11 Montreal

[color:red]2001-2003

2001-09-21 Lancaster Tavern (jambands.ca festival) acoustic full band A++

2002-06-29 Ghosttown (Dave sings!, although not the first time as I posted there)

[color:red]2004-2006 (current line-up)

2004-01-10 Call the office

2004-12-31 Pepper Jacks

2005-03-17 Casbah

2005-05-20 CTMF

If your looking for one single show to check out, I'd say go with a current line-up, then check out:

2005-03-17 Casbah, which is a great mix of older & newer Fatties songs. Throw in the 2006-04-20 show for a taste of whats going on now, as well a new song.

Hope that helps, I know its more then one show, but after seeing & listening to a few hundred shows, it gets hard for me to pick just one, but those in my opinion are choice in each group. I'm sure other people would have equally good reccomendations.

Cheers

Can't argue with any of those picks. a few others pop into my head horsehoe '99, 10/19/96 and 02/14/98 but whats the point, too many choices.

Thanks fot getting this up so quick Greg, takes the sting out of not being there. One bonus of the amplified vocals is I'm catching lyrics I've never paid attention to "but my faith in god dangles, dangles in the breeze" ;) Sound definately improves farther in

Great to hear absolute route back, an obvious favorite of mine. Still needs a bit of work to bring it back to form but still great to hear.

Like the sound of the new one, lots of promise.

Cheers

Finally getting around to listening to this; Esau, hell, the sound is great!

By God, the power at the fingertips of someone who can play Hammond like that (viz. Josh). Sweet! You'd think that much power would be too much for anyone. That's my theory about why the Dead had to cycle through so many of them.