Jambands.ca

Interview with Kim Mitchell (Kevin Breit Content)

\/\/illy

Interview with Kim Mitchell by D. Alexander, Edited by Tom Morel

CGPA - You've played with Alex Lifeson, Steve Morse, Rik Emmett and a host of others. Who has been the most fun or the most intimidating?

Kim - None of them have been intimidating. I think that the only guitar player that's intimidating to me, but one of the least intimidating guy's is Kevin Bright. I don't know whether people have heard of him, he's a guitar player here in Toronto. He's actually our keyboard player's brother. If you're ever in Toronto, go to the Orbit Room on Monday night and you'll see this man. He just comes from another planet. Most of the time when I go see him play, I just come home and just wanna kick my guitar case into the corner. Rik Emmett taught me a great deal one day about song writing that I will never forget. He sat down with me and had a talk with me about song writing and it stuck with me forever. Alex Lifeson is a really cool, different lead player and just a fun person to be around. He's just a great guy to hang with. We toured with Rush alot. The guitarist for Bryan Adams (Keith Scott) is an awesome guitar player. I think he plays that 'pop thing' with Bryan amazingly. There's a lot of talent in doing that, believe it or not. To play those melodic solos. We'd hear him in the dressing room blowing jazz! He's totally awe inspiring. So nobodies been intimidating. I think there's a mutual respect among all of us guitar players...as opposed to drummers who are all stabbing each other in the back..hehehe. I think there's always something to be learned from any guitar player. Even a guy whose been playing only a few years, but they've got something that they do that's kinda cool and so I respect that.

Now that is a fucking quote!

I agree! Thanks for posting that quote Wi!!y. It's amazing how many times Kevin Breit's name has come up in different music articles I've read over the last year, since I've become aware of him.

Some day I'll have to actually go and see/hear the guy play! :)

Peace, Mark

Kim's cool shit for sure.

If I have to hear bouche dis one more guy (most recently Steve Vai and Kim Mitchell) in a vain effort to seem cool* I think I'm going to scream.

* Prior to maturation, humans (generally males) hold the false interpretation that insulting the music or fashion of anyone that doesn't seem to fit their clique will somehow improve their popularity within their clique.

:D :D :D :D!!!

Love ya brother!

Seriously though; I'm no Steve Vai fan but I have seen the man play a guitar and repeatedly referring to him as a "cheesy motherfucker" doesn't cut it. Open up your mind man! :P

Steve Vai was one of Zappa's guys; from when he was a really young prodigy. To me, anyone touched by Zappa would have to fall pretty hard for me to call him "cheesy". (I suppose "motherfucker" is really just a factual question, and I imagine that Steve's had sex with at least one person's mother by now, but I really don't know.)

maxwebster: I work with a guy who grew up with a friend named "Max Webster". I can't help but laugh every time I hear his name.

Don't worry, all my perceptions come from Steve Vai after Zappa as a metal head with funny hair, flashy clothes and cheese music behind him. I'll have to find what I'm talking about, and I'm sure I'm not confusing him with yngwie.

Anyway, seeing and hearing some of the stuff with Zappa has changed all those perceptions that I had. It's great. I love to learn ;)