Jambands.ca

Willie Nelson in Ottawa TONIGHT!!

ollie

Willie was wicked last night!! I knew he had some guitar skills but holy fuck was his playing ever phenomenal! I went expecting a singer/songwriter kind of thing and left most impressed by Nelson's guitar virtuosity.

The setlist was pretty much what you'd expect. Whisky River to open and close, a hundred songs in between and then about a five song encore, even though he never left the stage. He packed it all into about an hour and forty-five minutes.

Highlights for me were: Blue Skies, Stardust, the tribute to his favourite guitar player (can't remember his name!), City of New Orleans and a great feeling blues number towards the end.

He also performed a new song called "Superman" which had some great opening lyrics: "Too many pain pills! / Too much pot!"

It was like a gospel revival at the end with the song "I Saw the Light" pulling fans, arms out-stretched, toward the stage. After the song Willie shook as many hands as he could and signed some autographs before heading backstage for the night.

The crowd was something to behold as well, mostly older, mostly CFRA listeners. The normal concert pot smell was replaced with wafts of hairspray and makeup. Some people up and dancing, which was nice, but overall fairly subdued until the closing number.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band put on an excellent opening set showcasing both their hits and their musical chops. "Mr. Bojangles" was spellbinding and had most of the crowd singing along.

My one gripe comes at the expense of the Civic Centre who provided the most inept beer service I have ever experienced. The only way to get a beer was to miss part of either band's set. I drank water all night.

His favourite guitar player was a name I had running through my head as I heard Willie's playing: Django Reinhardt.

"Pancho and Lefty" was the highlight for me, with "Blue Skies" a close second. "You Were Always On My Mind" just about melted me, and I didn't notice Julio Iglaseis' absence for "To All The Girls I've Loved Before".

Aloha,

Brad

His favourite guitar player was a name I had running through my head as I heard Willie's playing: Django Reinhardt.

I noticed these three side-by-side on the wikipedia page:

- Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead was influenced by Django

- Trey Anastasio formerly of Phish , says his favorite guitarist is Django

- Willie Nelson cites Django as an influence on him

Thought I heard little Jerry in Willie's playing last night. Now I know where it comes from.

:)

that beer line up was readicculus!!!

i agree with ya bradm, loved always on my mind, and my highlight was poncho & lefty as well.

willie looked really good up there! fun, chill night.

oh, and i loved superman! :)

Edited by Guest