Jambands.ca

QOTD - '85 Artists for Africa

Hux

Band Aide was always my favourite...

and I was always kinda embarrassed by at least the video for Tears Are Not Enough.. it was so low budget.. and I'm sorry.. that's so totally a local community TV studio, not a world class recording studio they are singing in.

I know it wasn't about the video or whatever.. but when you are a young kid you just wanted to see cool videos.. and this one isn't.. certainly not compared to the Band Aide or USA For Africa vids

My inner vindictive SOB always reads the title of the USA's song as being very arrogant: "We are the world." Really? The USA is the world? So what's the rest of the world, you sanctimonious little twits? At least Canada is pragmatic about it: tears are not enough, action is required. Band Aid's song was a cool metaphoric way of bringing the issue to light, and at least it has Phil Collins playing drums, and not singing...

Aloha,

Brad

My inner vindictive SOB always reads the title of the USA's song as being very arrogant: "We are the world." Really? The USA is the world? So what's the rest of the world, you sanctimonious little twits? At least Canada is pragmatic about it: tears are not enough, action is required. Band Aid's song was a cool metaphoric way of bringing the issue to light, and at least it has Phil Collins playing drums, and not singing...

I'm with you on all those points. Even the filming has hallmarks of their countries of origin - right down to the big hockey crowd in "Tears". But yeah, the arrogance of the US one is pretty striking, and it was nice to see some of the UK folks actually playing instruments (and yes, no Phil C singing :) ).