Jambands.ca

Hylozoists news and dates

DevO

Some previous Skank chat about The Hylozoists can be seen HERE .

I'm excited about this band and I think some others are feeling the same way, so here's some news!

From the Boompa Records mailing list:

New Boompa signing, The Hylozoists, has a highly anticipated upcoming release just around the corner. La Fin du Monde, will be released in Canada on June 20th, and in the USA on July 11th. Paul Aucoin's glockenspiel-driven vision plays like the ideal accompaniment for a macabre carnival carousel, or a soundtrack in search of an arthouse film. La Fin du Monde features performances by current and past members of The Weakerthans, Fembots, Cuff The Duke, The Sadies, Tricky Woo, Broken Social Scene and many, many, many more.

Upcoming Shows:

06-08 Thu Kingston, ON Elixer details

06-09 Fri Wakefield, PQ Blacksheep Inn

06-10 Sat Montreal, PQ Salla Rosa

06-15 Thu Hamilton, ON The Casbah

06-17 Sat Toronto, ON Horseshoe Tavern CD Release Party

06-20 Tue Toronto, ON Soundscapes In store

06-23 Fri Peterbourough, ON TBA

06-24 Sat Waterloo, ON The Boat

07-20 Thu Dawson City, YK Dawson City Music Festival

07-28 Fri Guelph, ON Hillside Festival Hillside Community Festival

08-13 Sun Toronto, ON Harbourfront

09-09 Sat Guelph, ON TBA Guelph Jazz Festival

I think this is the first time their playing at Hillside has been officially announced. Also, sort of unfortunately frankly, it seems that they are playing the Saturday night 'youth' show for the Guelph Jazz Fest. That festival infuriates me with what they pass off as music for young people. Well they infuriate me with a lot of stuff but that too.

• 2 months later...

I liked it when I saw them in an average opening slot about 8 months ago...now I can't help but feel the quality of this music is not such that they should be nabbing high profile gigs.

Seems to be about 80% gimmick. Weeee Xylophones weeeeee and the gigs seem to be got on the back of the reputation of the members.

Maybe I'm disgruntled and dismayed by the chronyism.

Just my 2 cents.

Deeps

PS I'm with Zero on the Guelph Jazz Fest...it seems a little strange....every show is in a church or some off the beaten path area and essentially brings very little business into the city centre as a result.

It doesn't surprise me in the least.. High profile band members, lots of connections, interesting & unique instrumentation, the popular indie big band roster with 8+ people on stage, and catchy music. They've got all the right ingredients for indie rock success. I like the album; I haven't seen them live but I look forward to seeing them one day. You weren't a fan of their live show?

Not particularily.

It was interesting I will definitely give it that, but after about 30 minutes I was like OK I get it you have wacky instruments and you're playing haunted house country grooves reminiscent of Shadowy Men From a Shadowy Planet.

Not all that new and pretty mundane after not-too-long.

Alittle too shoe-gazey for my likes...but I have a low tolerance for that.

Just my take.

Deeps