Jambands.ca

Baked/Fried

Biggest Fan

I just started to try and do the baked/fried chicken thing... Is anybody else tooling around with this one. I came across the idea from a premade mix at the store which was really good. I have not found the same mix but have tried various other methods. Last night I tried dried Italian seasoning mix with bread crumbs, it turned out pretty good.

*The idea coat and bake 1 whole cut up chicken 375 for 45.

I have tried turning it half way and not. I would go with not. I have tried putting a heavy coating of olive oil and light(in the bottom of the pan). I am now going with light if any at all.

Not a good start with a 'how to cook' .... but work at it. In time you'll find something you like a whole lot.

Edited by Guest

I do sort of the same thing: I buy chicken thighs, bone-in, and skin-on, skin them, shake them in a bag with breadcrumbs and seasoning (black pepper, basil, oregano, hot pepper flakes), and bake on the tray in the toaster over at 400 degrees for about 40-45 minutes. The breadcrumbs don't really coat the chicken fully, but add a bit of flavour.

Aloha,

Brad

Real southern fried chicken becomes a craving now and then. We made some one night using some authentic southern recipe off the net and fried it in a skillet with Canola oil. It was pretty damn tasty although I think it really comes out well if you use Lard and the MSG laced KFC recipe.

This one looks like something that I will try really soon

Here's one that I may actually try. It uses boulion

Pair it with this for a really authentic feast!

I dig fried risotto balls.

Just take yesterday's leftover risotto and form into little balls (it's nice to pop a piece of mozzarella in the middle of it). Do the breading station thing and get 'em all coated up. Obviously, risotto is beautiful, so best to use fresh, good-quality breadcrumbs here folks. Fry 'em in very hot oil in a skillet and serve them with whatever thick and rich sauce is appropriate for your risotto flavourings.

For me making risotto is just an excuse to have these the next day. And it seems like we're due sometime soon!

try slathering some pesto on a chicken part (i like breasts (come on lazlo...come on with your funny joke))...not too much or it's salty, but enough so you can't really see the meat anymore and bake for 40-45 at 350-375. mmm so tender and moist!

time to share your risotto recipes!

For a basic instruction as to the principles of making risotto, go here. These principles are crucial to making a quality risotto.

The key is in making a good stock. Don't use the commercial stuff, but if you must, definitely try your local health food store for their stocks; they'll be far more wholesome, less salty, and not pumped full of preservatives.

I like to make a shrimp risotto: use seafood stock (you can just bring your regular vegetable stock to a boil w/ the shrimp shells, then simmer), a tablespoon of tomato paste softened in white wine, and chopped cooked shrimp at the end. Pare back the cheese (parm) for this one.

Another great one is to use kale, or spinach, or rapini, finely chopped, with a good salty cheese, like pecorino or parmesan, or good creamy feta.

I have also made a wild mushroom risotto that is fabulous. Just be careful as the mushrooms will give up a lot of water as they cook.

The most important things about risottos is that you use quality ingredients, take the time and effort to stand over the pan and do it properly, and serve it almost immediately.

For almost any risotto, I find adding some fresh, chopped herbs (whatever suits your igredients) and/or some finely sliced green onions (raw) at the end goes a long way towards texture and flavour.