Jambands.ca

Gore's new movie on global warming.

StoneMtn

This morning I heard a snippet on CBC radio (only a snippet because my drive to work is less than 3 minutes) about a new movie by Al Gore about global warming.

I didn't realize until I was just exiting my car that the point of the interview was that global warming is a PARTISAN ISSUE now, and some moron pointed out on CBC that you can't just go to Al Gore's movie to learn about it. "If you believe global warming exists" (???) then you have to go to an unbiased source. "You wouldn't watch a propaganda movie by Goebbels (which he mispronounced to the point of being comical) to learn about the truth about Nazi Germany, would you?"

Idiots.

I think the global warming lobby should shift their focus to air pollution, which is a more immediate and visible problem.

By "visible", I mean those clouds of smog that hover above our cities all summer.

The "fuel to burn" morons perceive global warming as a myth because it is a very slow process and because the earth naturally goes through cooling/warming phases. And because they wanna drive their gas-guzzlers without restriction.

If we eliminate air pollution in the short term, global warming/climate change will take care of itself in the long term.

• 6 months later...

I haven't watched the film yet, but will this week i hope. Just came across this:

http://consciousearth.blogspot.com/2006/11/inconvenient-truth-squeezed-from.html

Monday, November 27, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth Squeezed from Classrooms

The producers of An Inconvenient Truth have offered to supply American classrooms with 50,000 copies of the movie free of charge. That offer has been rejected by the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), the nation's leading science education teachers group, citing a risk to funding from key financial supporters.

One of those supporters is Exxon-Mobil.

The news was buried deep in the Washington Post website and reported by Laurie David, a producer of the film and founder of StopGlobalWarming.org

In their e-mail rejection, they (NSTA) expressed concern that other "special interests" might ask to distribute materials, too; they said they didn't want to offer "political" endorsement of the film; and they saw "little, if any, benefit to NSTA or its members" in accepting the free DVDs.

Gore, however, is not running for office, and the film's theatrical run is long since over. As for classroom benefits, the movie has been enthusiastically endorsed by leading climate scientists worldwide, and is required viewing for all students in Norway and Sweden.

Still, maybe the NSTA just being extra cautious. But there was one more curious argument in the e-mail: Accepting the DVDs, they wrote, would place "unnecessary risk upon the [NSTA] capital campaign, especially certain targeted supporters." One of those supporters, it turns out, is the Exxon Mobil Corp.

Oil industry supporters will be quick to endorse the decision, agreeing that An Inconvenient Truth does indeed represent a special interest. What they will conveniently ignore is that unlike industry friendly messages pushed into the curriculum, An Inconvenient Truth is based on, and endorsed by, objective science - the very subject the National Science Teachers Association says it promotes.

What truth is more inconvenient? It depends where your pay cheque comes from.

Email this • Add to del.icio.us • Blog This • Subscribe to this feed

posted by Odiyya at 11:36 AM

is he making a new movie ie. another one?

or were you talking about an inconvenient truth?

i always feel bad when i fly on a plane after seeing that. i am very eco-conscious otherwise but i take flights now and then which pretty much cancels out any good eco-karma! :(

gonna try to fly less though. my mom just invited me to mexico for a week...kind of a frivolous trip...maybe i'll have to skip it :(

Edited by Guest

does anyone else see the irony of stonemtn telling us what he heard re: the new gore movie about global warming as he drove his 3 minute commute to work?

if it's a 3 minute drive, why the heck are you driving?

I find it funny that he wrote it 6 months ago and you're just getting around to responding now.....

... except that having Tipper nearer to power would have been cultural very, very damaging. They're still - well, Tipper, at least - evangelical with a big axe to grind.

You are right Tipper Gore is the "flyin th ointment" with her crusade aginst Heavy Metal in the 80's.

Even wierder is that both the Gore's are deadheads and have seen many shows.

So odd?