Jambands.ca

Bluesfest tonight!!!

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

I'll eventually make my way there. I'll probably get there during Kool and The Gang.

There's an article on K&tG in this week's XPress. Apparently they're going to be doing their stuff from the '70s and '80s, along with some of their later hip-hop-influenced material.

Aloha,

Brad

Spearhead was fantastic tonighight, er...tonight. First time seeing them, hopefully not the last.

For those who missed it, they were late arriving due to unidentified problems at the border. Franti's got a record, apparently, plus he was wearing army pants and so maybe the border police thought he was part of a dreadlocked militia from San Francisco, come to dreadlock us all and revolt against the sheet-stem.

Anyway, the crowd filled nicely as 10ish approached and then they rocked that Black Sheep stage till it could BAAAA! no more. It was only an hour or so, (no encore but it was ok because Franti was hugging folks in the audience).

Franti was super-high energy, us skanks were getting super-high, and the band rocked. The bass player is a bad ass, and the keyboard player had skills I didn't anticipate. The whole show was a welcome surprise. Good vibes all around. Franti even invited a girl up on stage to sing, as she volunteered after some craziness. She was wicked and the crowd cheered her on.

Big ups, as they say, to the Sloth for the "hippy hop" description before the show started, but without even knowing it, and after disavowing it, the Sloth had his hands in the air and was waving them like he didn't even care.

Allmans and Nero tomorrow? Antibalas on Saturday? MMW on Sunday?

Ottawa, I barely knew ye.

Tonight will be arguably the best overall night of music at this years' festival. White Cockatoo (aboriginal didj orchestra) at the Black Sheep stage at 6:15, Kool & the Gang (a world class R&B outfit beyond the classic disco stuff we all cherish) on the main stage at 7:45, and the unbelievable Micheal Franti & Spearhead back at the Black Sheep stage at 9:30. To all those I managed to convince to go see Spearhead at Babylon and were treated to the surprise club show of the year: you can all buy me a beer of thanks tonight at the festival.

So, who's going?

quote:

Originally posted by larry jr.:

Franti's got a record, apparently, .

it was the bus driver who had the record, according to Franti. Armed Robbery, Battery, Forgery, et...

He was wicked and so was the rest of them. Just got back from Raggamuffin where Spearhead's drummer and pianist had arrived. Wonder if Franti will show up....

Such a good night... Beat that, Allmans! Beat that Antibalas! Beat that Randolph! Beat that MMW!

Here's hoping they do!!! Yay Bluesfest!!

ad

Archived