Jambands.ca

Go Away, Passenger!!!!

hamilton

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

Now emailing someone in Ottawa about a show in Guelph is not very useful but emailing someone in Brantford or Kitchener wouldn't be.

Well, I'm on the other side of the planet, so there's *certainly* no use in sending me mail.

But I wouldn't have minded at all if the opt-in scenario that you and Mr. Musicface had been utilised.

On a side note, I'm surprised by how much interest has been shown in this little debate - it's nice to see...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

But I wouldn't have minded at all if the opt-in scenario that you and Mr. Musicface had been
utilised

Hamilton, normally I'd never do this, but since we've already had tangents in this tread regarding proper English, I have to pick on this one - no offense intended! [big Grin]

Utilised, or utilized for our American friends, actually means something along the lines of "to use an object or technique in a manner different to that originally intended". So for instance:

"Lynn used the hammer to pound nails into the wall"

but

"Lynn utilised the hammer to bash Andre on the head because he was being a jack-ass"

(Please note, the names in the above example do not refer to real people or real situations - any similarity is purely coincidental.)

Now arguably your sentence is still cool 'cus you could say using email in this way is different than the purpose for which it was originally intended, but we've had big debates at my work over the misuse of "utilise" in technical documents, so I had to throw it out there. [Wink]

Anyway, thanks for your support of my idea (well my idea based a bit on some stuff Kung was talking about and others who I've seen do it), I think it's a reasonable compromise. This way, someone like you could say "well, I'm in Korea so it's pretty unlikely I'll be seeing this guy's shows in Guelph and Hamilton anytime soon, so I'm not gonna respond." But those that actually want this stuff, they can respond and say "yeh, keep me on your list." This positive on two fronts - you're hassling those that don't want to keep receiving your information to a minimal degree, and you're actually requiring action from those who actually want your information, so then you're narrowing your target to those that may indeed really want to see you which is what you are actually going for.

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

quote:

But I wouldn't have minded at all if the opt-in scenario that you and Mr. Musicface had been
utilised

Hamilton, normally I'd never do this, but since we've already had tangents in this tread regarding proper English, I have to pick on this one - no offense intended! [big Grin]

Utilised, or utilized for our American friends, actually means something along the lines of "to use an object or technique in a manner different to that originally intended".

Hee-hee! I guess I was asking for that one - being the one who started all of this (both this thread, and the English criticism) in the first place!! [big Grin]

Well, -

You are on my list, as well as Jaimoe, and it aint no emailing list..................... [Mad]

I am going to punch you in your stupid Panda-face and you wont be able to do nothing but groove on it, and wait for the white eyes to appear.

None the less, interesting debate. Personally, I dont know why I am getting emails from them, like Kung has pointed out, some of us are in Ottawa.

There is a handy tool I use, Delete

Archived