Jambands.ca

Barr brothers new side project UPDATE

bouche

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think tapers have to be pretty stealthy. IIRC, Radiohead is one of those bands where the members are OK with being recorded, but their management isn't (probably due to their record contract, which allows only the record company to record or issue recordings); Bill Frisell is another one, as are BNL.

Go read the comments on the Toronto BT for a neat way to get a heavy amount of gear in. :)

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks for the offer calamity. I made plans to spend the weekend with my sister (it's her birthday) long before any of this Slippy business was announced.

I love her more than the Slip (not too much more, it was still a painful decision). ;)

We've got a nice weekend planned so I think I'll be okay.

The rain didn't hold this event back. It was moved to the Academy club where the Slip brothers will be playing later tonight. There were about 25 people including our group of 10. So if we weren't there, the show would have been attended by 15 people! I guess the rain and venue change had an effect.

Brad was on guitar and banjo, andrew on stand-up bass, mike felbar on mandolin and elizabeth on fiddle.

Great 2, 3, and 4 part harmonies. They did a great rendition of Handle With Care (travelling wilbury's) even though they didn't have their lyrics sheet.

Andrew started a glissendo and slid a note up the bass string and andre leaned in "rubber ball". Brad pulled out a rubber ball and bounced it around. Off of his guitar and they bounced it back and forth. One bounce flew to Felbar and he caught it with his NECK! Freakshow!

So rubberball was GORGEOUS. Brad finished with a salute to Nathan and mentioned his drug offence, but they are working on getting him back to Canada.

A few songs were fronted by Mike Felbar and the band pulled off many amazing supporting harmonies. There was alot going on here with featuring the various musicians singing lead and switching things up. Andrew pulled off the hillbilly bass player with cowboy redneck charm.

Wait until you see the photos. I would upload them now, but I left my camera with Felbar so I could capture the Slip brothers after Radiohead tonight.

I don't know the names of any other tunes, but there were a few foot stomping bluegrass numbers. Later in the set, Brad put on the banjo and Elizabeth strapped on Brad's nice Gibson and they went into what is likely one of Elizabeth's tunes. It was fantasticly performed.

So basically, go see this when you can. What a fucking TREAT!!