Jambands.ca

EZ Wonton Soup

bouche

I'm really digging this wonton soup that i made last night.

Instead of making the wontons, which is VERY time consuming, I bought frozen pork wontons from Chinatown. I also got a few cans of chicken broth form there as well.

Heat up the broth to a boil and add the frozen wontons. Bring it back to a boil and then simmer for about 8 minutes. Add a few drops of sesame oil and a handful of green onions.

PRESTO! YAN CAN COOK!

i've always been under the impression that soup should never boil. simmer good, boil bad

sounds like a good recipe though mikey...

the boil is only there to allow the broth to simmer after putting in frozen wontons. It's not like a soup-soup. It's frikken broth with frozen wontons! Oh and also, any time you're working with a dumpling, you need near-boiling-hot broth.

you'll love it. trust me.

• 1 month later...

Hey Mike, this soup is delish! Can you provide some specifics? How many wontons? (If you're gonna say "a package", what size of package?) How many cans of stock? What size is each can? Oh yeah, what was the name of the greens that went in there? Was that bok choy?

Ollie, start with chicken broth. Every brand is a bit different. Campbells and Knorr are pretty salty so we dilute them with some water, the stuff we buy in china town is less salty so we leave it as is. Our homemade stock will require that we add salt. Taste it, that's the only way to get the flavor you're after.

Basically you want about 1.5-2 cups of liquid per serving. Heat it up to a light boil but don't let it boil too heavily.

Add wontons - we buy the ones from The Dumpling Shoppe on Somerset. Put in as many as you want really, the ratio of wonton to soup isn't going to affect the flavor. Mike and I usually have about 5 or 6 wontons per serving. We often put a whole package of wontons in the soup though so we can have half of them for leftovers the next day.

Extras - When the dumplings are heated through, you can add spring onions, bok choy, BBQ pork, corn, whatever tickles you. Always finish off with a wee drizzle of seasme oil.

i've always been under the impression that soup should never boil. simmer good, boil bad

sounds like a good recipe though mikey...

Don't boil a stock when you are making it from scratch, especially consomme. Soup okay though. But if it's got dairy or a roux, obviously stay over top of it. A trick I use is instead of making a roux at the beginning of the soup's prep and being a slave to the soup for the rest of the day, try a beurre manie at the end and puree.

Don't boil a stock when you are making it from scratch, especially consomme.

This is about clarity, primarily though, no? I can see the worry in a restaurant environment (especially with a consomme!) but in a home setting when the stock is mostly going into a pureed soup anyways, I don't see the worry.

I generally bring the ingredients jjjuuusssttt to a boil and quickly back the heat off to a simmer, skimming off any coagulated proteins. Is there a reason (besides aesthetics) why I'd want to shy away from that initial short-lived boil temperature?

boil or no boil, I am loving the new digital instant read thermometer that Ms.Hux picked up. I promise that I won't use it for personal readings.

Since we're on this, I'll post again that we just made a delicious soup with our first attempt at Chicken Stock. Results....it was a different planet than anything we've purchased in a can or tetra-pack.

For 2 bucks and about 4 hours of time, we have 8 quarts of stock. That is INCREdibly satisfying!

Tonight's soup:

250 g Chinese-style bba pork sliced thin or julienned

2 small bok choy sliced on the diagonal

4 spring onions sliced thinly, diagonally, or not

1-2 tsp of minced ginger

6 cups of high quality bouchard-williamson chicken stock

1-3 thai chilly peppers minced

2 cobs of fresh corn

1 tsp or so of Sesame Oil

salt to taste

Sriracha chilly sauce if desired

ginger goes into hot wok or sautee pan with a couple tbsp of peanut/veg oil. give it up to a minute and then put in the stock. bring it to a boil and simmer for about 7 minutes. Add the slice d pork and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. add the pre-sliced veggies (corn nibblets, bok choy, and onion). If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of salt, but start small, desolve and then taste. Then add up to a teaspoon of sesame oil. After about 5 more minutes, you'll find that the corn is tender enough and it's time to serve the soup over noodles of your choice.

Egg noodles, singapore, rice vermechelli, UDON...whatever. Just have them ready. Garnish with more sliced green onions and coriander. Squirt in some Sriracha sauce for an added chili kick.

Et Voila!