Jambands.ca

Paul Simon last night

phorbesie

velvet and i went to see the show last night in montreal. we were so excited! the only problem with that is that my expectations were soaring and i think i was expecting paul simon from 15 years ago or something.

it was fun!

before the show, we saw this slovakian (?) guy's band, ivan itchkanian (sp). whoa. his guitar sounded exactly like trey. if i closed my eyes, it was a phish show. nuts! the first song was really like stash. it was so cool!

anyway, paul. our box seats were awesome. weren't expecting an opening band, but there was one...jerry douglas band! i was psyched. i LOVE jerry douglas! their set ripped. amazing. guitarist and bass player (local guy) were awesome, jerry was stunning. they ripped it up, i could have watched them all night long. they played some beautiful songs. AND this super long awesome Lookout for hope (bill frisell) > little wing > lookout for hope. wow.

oh yeah, so... paul. lol

he had a band of great musicians. the first couple songs the sound was all muddy but fortunately they took care of that. it was a fun show. i felt like a more minimalist approach would have suited me a little better at times (ie. more paul, less band) but it was good.

he played some acoustic tunes which were great. for the first half of the show he alternated between a new song and old song, then towards the end all old songs. the new songs ranged from alright to quite good.

he was having a good time and so was everybody. he's just awesome and i feel so glad to have seen him.

i didn't keep a setlist and i don't know names of all the new tunes. but here are some tunes he played, in no particular order.

loves me like a rock

me & julio

mother & child reunion

still crazy after all these years

slip slidin away

you can call me al

diamonds on the soles of her shoes

how can you live in the northeast

bridge over troubled water

the boxer (with jerry douglas)

cecilia

mrs. robinson