Jambands.ca

Help me find a decent version of this song.

StoneMtn

I'm faced with an annoying problem. My fiancee's mother wants a particular song to be played at our wedding. It would be played at sort of a high-profile moment, too, when everyone's attention will be focused on it.

I've listened to it, and it sounds to me like a droning, boring, yet sugary-sweet-gospelly, lame song. I'm sure there are millions of people out there who dig this (as I'm pretty sure it's famous in the pop scene) but I can't stand it.

Now, the good news is that it isn't this version of the song that she has to have. She doesn't care who is playing the song, as long as it's this song. I've checked, and apparently this song has been recorded by more than a hundred musicians. So far, though, every version I've obtained is equally lame.

The song is called "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban. Is there any chance that one of you can find me a listenable (even good; or dare I say funky) version of this song? Please.

Man, those are all pretty damn sappy :P Sorry.

This one doesn't seem to have any cheezy vocals at least:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=50:6fe67ui0o06w~T

Russell Watson Graham, Brendan ... Listen Now! Amore Musica Buy Now! 2004 Classica

Then there's the disco party version:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=50:8kd2vpm4a9ek~T

Graham, Brendan ... Listen Now! Party Groove: Pride, Vol. 6 Buy Now! 2006 Latin

I don't know what this one is:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=50:xxen9grgkrrt~T

Graham, Lovland Listen Now! X-Cite Buy Now! 2006 Electronica

Good Luck!!!

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

I tried to listen to the "disco party version", but I can't seem to get it to play. What format is that?

And good idea on the idea of remixing it. I don't know how to actually do that myself, but I might be able to find someone to help me. That could end up actually being cool!

I tried to listen to the "disco party version", but I can't seem to get it to play. What format is that?

hmmm ... it's the audio sample link on the allmusic.com page. Go to this link http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=17:1767034 and look it up on the list. Then click on the little "speaker" icon in that line. Should work then. It opens up in WinAmp for me.

And good idea on the idea of remixing it. I don't know how to actually do that myself, but I might be able to find someone to help me. That could end up actually being cool!

Totally. If the only requirements you were given is that the song be played (any version) that's almost carte balnche in terms of mixing :D

Later . ..

Kanada Kev =8)

Edited by Guest

Alright, well the Rob Zombie was just vetoed by my fiancee, because this apparently has to remain a "slow song".

I did, however, get her to agree to the compromise of "Happiness is Drumming" by the Diga Rhythm Band (which is really a percussion-rendition of Fire on the Mountain).

deleted by me.

[edit to add]

Nevermind, I just re-read your initial post, the versions I found certianly aren't "funky", not even close, they sounds rather religous.LOL Probally not what your looking for I guess eh...

excuse me, I'm drunk.

Edited by Guest

GoodRev: Believe me I get your point. Lassie's Mom, though, has been really good about not asking for anything specific happen at the wedding, other than the playing of this song; so I am told we must honour that request.

Alabama: You are also finding the problem that I did in trying to find any decent version of this song. They all sound like religious drivel, and I certainly don't want that. (I'm certainly not insisting on "funky", but anything non-syrupy-sweet would be nice.)

I am going to look into remixing this song with some Diga Rhythm percussion, but if anyone can find an old blues version perhaps, or something, I'd still love it if you could post.

Thanks for your help, so far, guys.

I think it's interesting to note that when I searched for this on archive.org 5 entries down was the Jonestown death tape.

You're getting a ska version of this tune and you 2 happy kids are gonna mosh dammit.

I think I could pull this off and alleviate some cheese if you want to take me up on this offer, I'd be honoured.

Cheers

Deeps