Jambands.ca

Camp Skank

Large Marge

I just found this website, which seems to have similiar types of goals as to what this would try to accomplish. I sent them an email to see what they have to say about setting up a musical co-op.

Deeprootsmusic.ca

Here's a copy of their mission statement, I like it:

The Deep Roots Music Cooperative was incorporated in 2003 by a group dedicated to developing and promoting the music scene in Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley. Our Mission Statement:

"The Deep Roots Music Cooperative is a non-profit organization in the Annapolis Valley dedicated to celebrating our musical and cultural heritage. The mandate of the organization is to develop year-round musical programs culminating in an annual festival, and to encourage meaningful connections between cultures, community groups, artists and audiences."

Our aim is to present regular concerts, nurture local musicians, support other local arts organizations and worthy community projects and produce the annual Canadian Deep Roots Music Festival.

And while we're at it, have a lot of fun!

I'm going to continue my research and will keep the board updated on what I find, if I find anything else useful. Let's keep this rolling.

A crowd of folks out here in Oshawa have been throwing this idea around also. I'm going to talk to them and see if we can't all put in what we were saving to help the cause.

We proposed to buy land as a group by selling a 'membership'. Anyone who purchases a membership has access to the land for free at anytime and free access to festivals.

The land could be rented out to festival organizers outside the 'membership' on weekends that nothing would be planned on. This would benenfit the likes of Om, Harvest Festival, and so on.

Sunshine Daydream in Terra Alta was started this way.

Sorry kids, I've been outta town but am super-stoked by this response!!! I guess we should definitely move forward, at least with some further research and such. For those of you at CTMF this weekend, please feel free to come chat (provided I'm coherent); otherwise, we can figure out a plan of some kind when we're all "back to school" next week. Yipee Camp Skank :)