Jambands.ca

Camp Skank

Large Marge

So, in regard to Flymykitehigh's suggestion of a co-op festival venue... I think it's a very fine idea and would not really be that hard to accomplish, would it? We could get the Bash-Man to figure out how to sell the shares and such and maybe create a non-profit org to become land owner. With a bit of research, I'm sure we could figure this out. I've got $1000 I can slap down on the VISA right now... I only need 48 more crazies to get on board ;)

MLS®: 2066804 $49,000

674 BOSLEY RD

Tweed Munic, Ontario K0K 2K0

Elzevir, Tweed, Quinte, Eastern 7, Ontario

20668041.jpg

BLACK RIVER - GORGEOUS ACREAGE TO BUILD. PICTURESQUE VIEWS, TRAILS AND REFORESTED (15 YRS AGO) EVERGREENS ON LOT. PRIVATE. CALL NOW!!

co-ops and communal land, a reality all over the world.

it can be tough to get started, but can happen and does-

Half the battle is for sure getting a good and committed group of people together that will truely share the tasks/ duties-

I'd like to say you can count me in too- but I'm not trying to horn in on somenoe elses thing.

That being said I would be very interested.

lot's of resources and people to contact about how to do this on this site.

Intentional Communities

now that i think of it- didn't the OM fest folks do this?

Om Festival Message Board

Not me personally per say - however my mother. Stepfather and crew that they were friends with back in the day started one that is still going called Dragonfly- up in Lake St. Peter ON. Link to Intentional Communities Directory Listing for Dragonfly Farm ((There are LOTS of communes up in that neck of the woods). I also did my thesis in my BA on kids that had experienced this growing up and how it impacted them.

I am sort of hooked into the community by default as it were on many levels and surely do have the contacts that know the ins and outs of making this a reality- I could certainly contact people with specific questions if there was a group really interested.

Very interesting.

I have loads of experience with setting up and running non-profit orgs, grant writing, funding, etc. It's a great idea and I'd put in some serious time towards the effort. Plus I'd love to promote some bands on a killer piece of land. ;)

Cheers

you should consider land over near Bancroft/Haliburton Highlands area. My friend and I bought 26 acres this past June, with 775' of frontage on the Irondale River. Contau Lake is across the road. It's very private and AWESOME!!!!!

We paid $43,000 for it. It has an incredibly diverse forest (maple, ash, black cherry, birch, 3 different types of oak, eastern hop hornbeam, sumac, poplar, pine, hemlock, spruce, balsam, tamarack, and cedar just to name a few). There is a huge environmentally protected swamp on our land, and the river is soooooo private.

Do it folks, you won't regret it.

I'm hoping to have a party weekend up there sometime soon. All skanks welcome :) Ask POG or mooose about the property..they can vouch for it's headiness. Here's a few pics of our little bit of heaven.

photosfromirondale006bs8.jpg

my.php?image=photosfromirondale003uf3.jpg

mooosey...floatin in the boat and drunk on Creemore ;)

photosfromirondale075ux5.jpg

photosfromirondale059sn7.jpg

can't say I have experiecne setting up and no-profit- being burnout in one yes...but by coincidence- I also assist with grant writing now in the academic world though.

As far as bancroft and beautiful- my parents own land up there as well- in McMarthur Mills/ Boulter area. (just past bancroft going to Ottawa.)

As i mentinoed the Dragonfly farm is up in that neck of the woods- (Lake St. Pter is going north to the Park.) the farm is on mink Lake road.

As well- there are other intentional communities up there such as Killaoe.

there is morningglory.... MorningGlory Farm

and then this is the list of those that are in the Directory for Ontario.

=Ontario]Ontario

ok linky no working - I guess cause it is a db query- anyway- you can go and search for ontario on the site.

Edited by Guest

Large Marge you rock for planting this seed and I love that people are excited.

I am interested in trying to make this work, our very own Skank Fest, ahhhhh. Lets make sure we can be as loud as we want. We need to make sure where ever the land is, that there is no chance of an old hermit storming thought the woods on an ATV screaming "no drums".

I love this idea, and the enthusiasm that it has generated. Having said that, I think that the easy part would be to get the land. The trickier part would be to get it set up so that it could host large festivals without being shut down. A Camp Skank that is set up to host a party with 200 or 500 or even 1000 people is one thing, but a Camp Skank that could succesfully host a large festival would require much more effort.

Lots of great discussion and ideas floating around on this board over the last few weeks ... it gives me much hope and optimism for the state and fate of the canjam scene! ;):)

OK, time for a blast of nature ... I look forward to seeing some of you at Frontier Town, and to catching up on some reading in a week ...

Peace, Mark

i'm in.

however, we would need to establish a set of "rules" that are to be followed by all members of said land.

these rules would be decided by "the elders"

the elders would need to elect a "leader".

and we would need to sacrfice at least 2 babies to the hippy demi gods to keep the "vibes" pure on the land.

we would need to establish a set of "rules" that are to be followed by all members of said land.

Periodically, the rules might mysteriously evolve in the middle of the night. For instance, the rule, "All skanks are to be sketched" would one morning appear with the words, "but some skanks are to be more sketched than others" appended in oblique lettering in the margin.

Having spent summers up at Paudash Lake in Haliburton since I was a kid, I'd vouch loudly for that bit of the province. It's all a pretty engaging prospect - keep the ball rolling!