Jambands.ca

Anthony Bourdain interview in Vancouver

bouche

I have become a fan of Anthony Bourdain. Thanks to Kitchen Confidential.

I just stumbled across a podcast featuring an interview with Anthony Bourdain on Raincoast Books. He's such a great story teller, and his opinions are sold to me almost instantly. He's being interviewed on account-a having recently published another book titled "the nasty bits".

here are some Bourdain quotes in response to 'what do you say to people who eat fast food regularly?':

"STOP!"

"it's bad enough getting fat, but getting fat on bad food is a waste."

"you won't be hungry when you're done eating there, you may as well be eating styrofoam."

"finding good food is not all that hard, it's like finding drugs."

ahh, yeah it's a tv show and there's a guy named bourdain in it.. but i thought it was not the same bourdain.. dunno!

My fault you thought that. The character's name is "Jack Bourdain" and I had gotten the idea that it was based on some "non-Anthony Bourdain" Bourdain.

As it turns out, the character Jack is (loosely?) based on Anthony.

Funny show, though. Another good one that got the axe too early. Arrested Development, Deadwood, Kitchen Confidential ... I think they should fire TV execs, melt down the Nielson boxes, and just rely on internet polling or somesuch. Something in TV land has gone seriously, horribly awry.

So ... yeah.

that was a good show. I think we caught 3-ish episodes. I think it would have made a great series if it continued. There was a scene where one of the line cooks cut himself and I think made sure he got blood everywhere. If I remember it from the show correctly, it was one of Anthony's anecdotes in the audio book. Apparantly, when you cut yourself, you're supposed to get as much blood as you can on everyone and everything.

great listen...I've been a fan of this fellow for a few years now...

in fact I HIGHLY recommend his Les Halles cookbook, if you're a fan of cuisine, cooking and his writing style...there are some VERY tasty, and VERY fattening recipes in here.

9780747566885.JPG

I made the Tartiflette aways back and it was....magnifique!

What's the deal with his substance abuse, incidentally?

On "Kitchen Confidential", Jack is a recovering alcoholic and drug (ab)user, and doesn't touch the drink.

On "No Reservations" and "A Cook's Tour", Anthony will seek out and get shitfaced on absinthe, have a breakfast of wine, etc..

So presumably he isn't on the wagon. Actually I guess there isn't really a question here.

Good beer and fancy food should be kept separate. A firewall between them, like church and state. That wall crumbles and all will be chaos.

I love Tony Bourdain but his kitchen rules are shit

rule #1 in his kitchen

[color:red]NO DEADHEADS EVER

whats up with that? too many doses while he was on tour?

Oh yeah, and you have to come in sick. Isn't that against the sanitary rule?

what are all of his rules btw?

Hilarious. The beirut episode though is the most serious one so far.

I may have mentioned this already but he posts n egullet.org under "bourdain" and his wit does carry over to bulletin boards quite nicely. There's a really interesting thread that was compiled before, during and after the lebanon episode.

I love Tony Bourdain but his kitchen rules are shit

rule #1 in his kitchen

[color:red]NO DEADHEADS EVER

whats up with that? too many doses while he was on tour?

Oh yeah' date=' and you have to come in sick. Isn't that against the sanitary rule?

what are all of his rules btw?

[/quote']

I can't remember them all off the top of my head. PoG and I saw him on Jay Leno a few weeks ago and he said the no Deadhead rule on tv. I was pissed right off. The sanitary rule is hilarious but if you need a rule for that as a chef, you hired the wrong people in the first place. I wouldnt hire a cook unless they are on meds for obsessive/complusive disorder. Its the only way to make sure the kitchen is clean. Coming in sick is major no-no in any kitchen and its fuckin gross. When I worked in the CN Tower they would suspend you for 48 hours if you were sick and showed up there.