Jambands.ca

Kung Fu Movie Reccomendations...?

YearsAlongTheSea

So, I rented a movie on whim and watched it last night called "Musa: The Warrior." It was really well done but at the same time, just absolutely terrible and not at all a Kung Fu movie. More of an epic, Ming era China, historical, war type film. I'm looking for a Kung Fu fix and I didn't get it; now I want it. In terms of movies I've enjoyed, I like Bruce Lee's work, along with 'House of Flying Daggers,' and 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,' style movies. Movies that have soul and amazing combat choreography if you will. So, if you can think of anything that would be up my alley based on what I've said, your advice is appreciated. Otherwise, just spit out some Kung Fu movies you're a Kung Fan of and we're all happy.

you MUST check out The Blind Swordsman

Zatoichi is (yup, you guessed it...) a blind samurai.

check out a trailer here

Who Is Zatoichi?

A look at The Blind Swordsman.

by Brian Linder

June 10, 2004 - Most of you probably haven't heard of Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (yet), but if you know anything about Japanese cinema you'd recognize him as an iconic character from Japan's longest-running and best-loved film series.

This latest Zatoichi feature, from Japanese auteur Takeshi Kitano, director of such highly regarded films as Fireworks and Sonatine, goes into limited theatrical release later this month (June 23 to be exact). Takeshi is best known for his yakuza gangster films and as a famous comedian, but he's set aside the guns and picked up a sword for Zatoichi, billed as an action thriller with light comedy elements.

For the unindoctrinated, Zatoichi is a 19th Century blind nomad who makes his living as a gambler and masseur. But behind this humble facade, he is a master swordsman gifted with a lightning-fast draw and breathtaking precision. While wandering (because that's what blind nomads do), Zatoichi discovers a remote mountain village at the mercy of Ginzo, a ruthless gang-leader. Ginzo disposes of anyone who gets in his way, especially after hiring the mighty samurai ronin Hattori as a body guard. After a raucous night of gambling in town, Zatoichi encounters a pair of geishas (uh huh) who've come to avenge their parents' murder at the hands of Ginzo. Ginzo's henchmen are soon after Zatoichi. With his legendary cane sword at his side, the stage is set for a riveting showdown.

Check out Stephen Chow's (Kung Fu Hustle) soccer kung-fu flick Shaolin Soccer and The Chinese Connection . They are crazy and funny.

You can't go wrong with The Iron Monkey (Jet Li and Donnie Yen) or Li's Once Upon A Time In China(I, II or III, but #1 is is as good as action Asian flicks get).

I love Beat Takeshi Kitano films and also recommend his version of Zatoichi. Some DVD releases include his sombre gangster film Sonatine. Look for that version. Also, you can't go wrong with the great Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece films: The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo (which inspired Fist Full Of Dollars), The Hidden Fortress (which inspired Star Wars), Ran, Kagemusha, Sanjuro and Throne Of Blood.

Edited by Guest

The most talked about new martial arts hero is Tony Jaa and his 2004 film (almost entirely done without special effects) Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior His new film The Protector is in theatres now and is getting very good reviews. I must see it.

You may want to check out the upcoming non-Hollywood Chinese kung fu Jet Li film Fearless - in theatres this week or next. The movie reunites Li with the great action choreographer Yuen Wo Ping (Crouching Tiger, The Matrix and Kill Bill I and II to name a few) - and it's directed by Ronny Yu. Fearless is billed as Li's last ever martial arts picture. I wish Hollywood didn't do its best to try to ruin Li's otherwise brilliant career built in China.

Edited by Guest