Jambands.ca

Golden Dogs at Mavericks?

Im going home Donny

I can feel it coming in the air tonight. Oh lord.

I heard that Golden Dogs show in Guelph with Speakeasies opening was unbelievably good. Dave Azzolini is as ever a consummate musician, showman and especially guitarist. I get the sense their original drummer Beau (Stockton I believe) turned over leaving Dave and wife Jessica Grassi as the only two original members. The original Golden Dogs were off the charts. The current line up is a little watered down.

Dave Azzolini is as ever a consummate musician, showman and especially guitarist.

At one Dogs show in Ottawa, during (I think) "Elevator Man", which has some of the best guitar playing in that two-tone ska "skanking" style, I commented to Velvet about how good Dave was. "Yeah," Velvet replied. "He's deadly."

Dave is one of those players that doesn't overwhelm you with flash or over-the-top "Wow!" playing, but plays exactly what needs to be played for that particular song.

And I'm enormously hyped for this show because I think it'll allow me to get their new album. :)

Aloha,

Brad

okay meggo...you've set the bar for me....I figure if YOU'RE going, I definitely will go too. I just secured the babysitting (afer having to endure a 'why-would-you possibily-want-to-go-out-until-1 AM-on-a-work-night?-Are-you-sure-this-is-a-good-idea? type lecture' from my own mother!!! *sigh* we're always gonna be kids in our parents' eyes, eh? ;):P

i'll be solo that evening as Dave and the next-door-to-THAT PLACE boys hone their craft. Who wanna meet up beforehand?

The Golden Dogs

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Mavericks, Ottawa, ON

Birdsong

Dynamo >

Saints At The Gates

Construction Worker

Never Meant Any Harm

Strong

Runouttaluck

? (sung by the other/lead guitar player)

Jet[1]

Can't Get Your Face Out Of My Head >

I'm On Fire[2] >

Elevator Man

Force Of Nature

?

Life On The Line

Yeah!

Traffic Cops[3] >

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five[1]

[1] Paul McCartney And Wings cover.

[2] Bruce Springsteen cover.

[3] Pasamino cover, sung by the bass player.

That was certainly one of the best club rock'n'roll shows I've ever seen; the word exuberant doesn't even begin to describe what it was like. (At times, it sounded like Grand Theft Bus, but the Grand Theft Bus from The Bizarro World.)

It was a short show (1h15?), but on a school night, I kind of appreciated it, and they packed as much energy into the one set as some bands spread over an entire two-set show. Two sets of what we had last night would have been exhilarating, but debilitatingly exhausting.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Add note that 1985 is a Wings cover.

Just Can't Get Enough = 1985 I believe???

You might be right. I got a look at the band's set list last night, and it listed "1985", but it wasn't played where/when it was listed, and they didn't bring out the song-title cards for the encore; there's also a track titled "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five" on the new CD (which I have playing right now :)), so I'll check when I get to it.

Aloha,

Brad

Just Can't Get Enough = 1985 I believe???

You might be right. I got a look at the band's set list last night' date=' and it listed "1985", but it wasn't played where/when it was listed, and they didn't bring out the song-title cards for the encore; there's also a track titled "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five" on the new CD (which I have playing right now :)), so I'll check when I get to it.

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

Nineteen Hundred and Eight-Five is a Wings tune

any chance there was a taper or two there? Would love to get some live GD soon

Yup, I recorded it. My usual deal with The Golden Dogs is that I send them the recordings, and then they let me know what, if anything (such as give them to friends), I can do with them. I'll try to remember to let you know, once I hear from them, after I send it to them.

Aloha,

Brad