Jambands.ca

Simon Posford Appreciation Thread; with Shpongle/Hallucinogen YSI perk

YearsAlongTheSea

So, with all the Shpongle talk going on around here, I thought it would be fitting to pay a little tribute to the 'Master of Disaster.' There seems to be a lot of uncertainty as to what Shpongle Live entails. Basically, live Sphongle breaches technical impossibility. It invlovles over a dozen live musicians playing over the warped soundscapes and twisted beats that Posford lays down. It's only happened on one small Japanese tour and I doubt it would ever happen again. Your average Shpongle set involves Posford spinning material that he, Raja Ram, and the aforementioned musicians create in his laboratory. Nonetheless, compared to the album material, it's a lot more consistently upbeat and is astoundingly fluid. In a nutshell, he's a production genius.

simon-sa_rocks.jpg

Below is a link to a set he spun that I downloaded somewhere, the location of which I can't remember. It's him spinning mainly Shpongle and Hallucinogen material along with some Younger Brother tracks.

Simon Posford - DJ Set

It was broadcasted over some German or Eastern European airwaves, so every once in a while you hear the hosts of the show chiming in to tell you what your listening to. Nonetheless, it's nasty; it transcends time and space. I have to say his work has changed the way I look at electronic music, if not all music in general.

Enjoy...

The soundtrack to whatever drug you're on!

Posford and Raja Ram have been a big part of our lives all summer. Currently listening to their other project "The Mystery of the Yeti" its a fucking epic saga of sound. In this journey ambient and goa trance are the two leading forces. From completely beatless ambient companied with natural elements such as water and thunder, animals, chants and roars to full blown goa tunes with climbing liquid melodies. This album is made as an journey, listen to it from start to finish and climb to the Himalayas in the search of the Abominable Snowman.

GOD BLESS SHPONGLE

The soundtrack to whatever drug you're on!

Posford and Raja Ram have been a big part of our lives all summer. Currently listening to their other project "The Mystery of the Yeti" its a fucking epic saga of sound. In this journey ambient and goa trance are the two leading forces. From completely beatless ambient companied with natural elements such as water and thunder, animals, chants and roars to full blown goa tunes with climbing liquid melodies. This album is made as an journey, listen to it from start to finish and climb to the Himalayas in the search of the Abominable Snowman.

GOD BLESS SHPONGLE

you're welcome ;)

Maybe you're talking about Shpongle at Camp Bisco? But that's a DJ Set, aka Simon Posford Spinning. The tour in Japan was years ago and involved all the artists that have contributed to Shpongle, but it's tough to pull off and hasn't happened since. So, live Shpongle mostly means Posford spinning. I think that makes sense.

just listened to that track you put up for YSI for the third time and wow...

at first, i didnt really enjoy it all that much (i didn't think it was anything special) ...

at the gym, i gave it a second listen, and enjoyed it a bit more...

just listened to it for a third time while cleaning up the home and WOAH.....incredible stuff.

i love the way the guy goes "EH HRA VHA DRHAA....SIMON POSFORD"

Edited by Guest