Jambands.ca

So Level 42 is a waaay underated band!

The Chameleon

Like many folks I knew a few Level 42 songs, and thought they were OK, but in my mind I relegated them to 80's fluff/pop.

Boy was I ever wrong. I recently got some live Level 42 shows and a bass video of Mark King. Insane!

I always knew Mark King was serious player, but the more I listen to Level 42 the more I realize how kick ass they were. Killer songs, great hooks, really funky at times and even on the edge of jazz fusion and a nice mix of falcetto vocals with King's speech/song vocals.

I read up on thier history and founf out they started out as a jazz/funk/fusion band and then a the request of thier label added vocals to make the sound more accessable (damn!).

In any case take another listen Level 42 is more than they appear at first!

level.42.jpg27.jpg

Edited by Guest

Everybody who isn't a dirty stupid wook knows that the 1980's produced some great music and some great bands. Good on ya!

True, there were a fair number of memorable 80's bands. Level 42 had their Top 40 place and had more talent than most bands of their ilk. If we're talking 80's, give me The Pixes, Sonic Youth or The Replacements.

Innovative bassist; awfully sappy band.

I encourage you to listen to thier live shows Jaimoe' date=' nothing sappy in the slightest and much harder edged than thier albums. The live stuff is what converted me.[/quote']

Fair enough, but I've had decades of disliking this band in a Peter Cetera kind of way.

Level have always been HUGE in Europe... very loyal following over that way... most folks I meet from over there, who really are into music, want to know what my favorite Level 42 albums/recordings are (and are fully blown away when they realize I'm basically un-acquainted with all of it)

live videos are definately worth checkin out, some great stuff out there