Jambands.ca

My Morning Jacket: Okonokos

Jaimoe

I just bought MMJ's new live album Okonokos (it dropped today). I'm four songs in and it's fantastic... so far. That's it for now. I'm writing the review tonight and will submit it sometime tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

okonokoscd225.jpg

Disc One:

1. Wordless Chorus

2. It Beats 4 U

3. Gideon

4. One Big Holiday

5. I Will Sing You Songs

6. Lowdown

7. The Way That He Sings

8. What A Wonderful Man

9. Off The Record

10. Golden

11. Lay Low

Disc Two:

1. Dondante

2. Run Thru

3. At Dawn

4. Xmas Curtain

5. O Is The One That Is Real

6. I Think I'm Going To Hell

7. Steam Engine

8. Dancefloors

9. Anytime

10. Mahgeeta

No disrepect, and I haven't heard the new album yet, but has anyone seen their live show and found it a little less than awesome. I know rather dull was what I left with when I saw them last year in Toronto.

The show seemed to touch on some seriously epic stuff, but fell short when the singer came back to his reverb DRENCHED vocals. I don't know why he chooses to lay so much effects on top of them, really detracted IMHO. I also found that the tunes were rather forgettable when laid back to back to back. I couldn't really tell the difference between tunes sometimes.

I only offer this up because many around here have been raving

No disrepect, and I haven't heard the new album yet, but has anyone seen their live show and found it a little less than awesome. I know rather dull was what I left with when I saw them last year in Toronto.

The show seemed to touch on some seriously epic stuff, but fell short when the singer came back to his reverb DRENCHED vocals. I don't know why he chooses to lay so much effects on top of them, really detracted IMHO. I also found that the tunes were rather forgettable when laid back to back to back. I couldn't really tell the difference between tunes sometimes.

I only offer this up because many around here have been raving

I asked Jim James about his voice and vocals at Bonnaroo, he puts so much reverb on his voice for the simple reason that he hates his voice.

And you're missing something I think. I have found their live show to be waaaay more than awesome. I've seen them maybe 5 or 6 times now, each time is epic. Although my last Bonnaroo experience with them was less than stellar, only due to my heat exhaustion. The actual show was morethanepic.

AD

there was absolutely nothing less than awesome when i saw them at lollapalooza this summer. there werent many bands who put forth as much energy into their show. i mean, they were ALL OVER THE PLACE on that stage. keyboards were rockin' back and forth, great interaction between the rhythm section, and jim james didnt stop running back and forth on the stage wailing on the git. i thought they really put a lot of themselves into it.

I love "I Will Sing You Songs".

I can't wait til "Off The Record"' date=' a song that never really does it in the studio....[/quote']

I fuggin' love that song on the album!! Definitely a cranker in the car....the way it disintegrates into the the laid back drum machine beat jam at the end is so wicked.

I always thought the end of Off The Record needed a guitar solo. It meanders with no release on Z. Done live, Jim inserts some ripping solo bursts, making the song a concert highlight.

It's one of the only MMJ songs I think they got wrong on a studio album.

Guest Low Roller

MMJ are amazing. Best rock band I have seen in years.

The Toronto show was good in 2004, but what I saw in London last week-end was one of the best shows I have ever seen. They hit EVERY note and blew the roof off of the Astoria.

I can't wait for the Okonokos DVD to come out... I dl'ed the Austin City Limits from 2006 today. Not as good as I hoped, but still fun.

MMJ are amazing. Best rock band I have seen in years.

The Toronto show was good in 2004, but what I saw in London last week-end was one of the best shows I have ever seen. They hit EVERY note and blew the roof off of the Astoria.

I can't wait for the Okonokos DVD to come out... I dl'ed the Austin City Limits from 2006 today. Not as good as I hoped, but still fun.

Write a review of the show Roller.

By the way, on a High Def TV set with 5.1 surround speakers, that MMJ Austin City Limits show is one of the best shows that program's produced in years and years - same with The Lips performance from this year. Downloading it from video off of the Youtube server using crappy computer speakers is hardly an ideal situation for critique.

I just listened to it and I like it but I'm a little disappointed that there are so many 3 and 4 minute songs. I guess I was expecting a little more improvization and extended jams. Still good though, the songs from Z have a lot more energy than they do on the album. I give it a 7 1/2 out of 10.

Well, they aren't a jam band and stick to structural improv within the song.

And it seems that disc two has two songs that exceed eleven minutes and one over nine.

Edited by Guest

I'm way too much of a shit disturber these days. Sorry 'bout that.

I think it is essentially the voice deal with me, and you all have explained it.

If the guy's insecure about his voice it's going to come through, reverb festival or not. Part of me wants to love this band, but that vocal aspect is undoing some stuff on me I guess.

I'm sure my girl will be looking for the new album and I will check it out then.

Deeps