Jambands.ca

J.K. Rowling Top Banned Authors List

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Glad she's taking it in stride :) .

US Library Ban on J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter creator JK Rowling has been voted the author Americans most want to ban from libraries over fears that her books promote witchcraft.

The American Library Association (ALA), who compiled the list for their Banned Book Week, said there were more than 3,000 attempts to remove the books from libraries and schools between 2000 and 2005.

The ALA said some of the main reasons cited for protesters trying to get controversial books removed from circulation were sexually explicit material, having an occult theme or offensive language.

Other complaints highlighted books with violent content or promoting homosexuality or a religious viewpoint.

Other authors on the list include John Steinbeck, for racism, violent language and sexism in Of Mice and Men, Harper Lee for To Kill a Mocking-Bird and William Golding for Lord of the Flies.

Rowling said: "As this puts me in the company of Harper Lee, Mark Twain, JD Salinger, William Golding, John Steinbeck and other writers I revere, I take my annual inclusion on the list as a great honour."

An ALA spokesman said: "Banned Books Week celebrates the freedom to express one's opinion, even if it is considered unorthodox or unpopular and it stresses the importance of ensuring others have access to those viewpoints."

The ALA list looks as follows:

1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

2. "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier

3. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

4. "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck

5. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou

6. "Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers

7. "It's Perfectly Normal" by Robie Harris

8. Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz

9. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey

10. "Forever" by Judy Blume

Check this out - it's standard fare, of course, but the implications are remarkable.

"Harry Potter Is the Devil" (Bible Camp)

Not only do I feel sorry for the kids having this drilled into them; I feel sorry for the state of mind of those who start clapping when this person says how Harry Potter would have been put to death under the laws of the Old Testament. So let me see, your values include getting excited about submitting children to capital punishment?

My stepson was not allowed to go see Harry Potter with our family because his maternal extended family are fundamentalists who believe that it promotes witch craft and that Harry is indeed an incarnation of the Anti Christ.At first we thought it was a bit funny-it just seems so silly.But the irony is this: We didnt take him in order to respect his mothers wishes( one of those frustrating, respecting each others priorities, split family strategies) but my step son than snuck out to the movies with his friends andtried to lie about it to all involved.This is a really great kid, who very seldom does anything wrong.Yet the strictures imposed on him by an out of touch dogma that completley disregards a broader inspection of context and the nature of children almost( I say almost because it is still a choice) compelled the kid to do something that was actually wrong-lying.Then of course the lying was blamed on the influence of the movie.

I wish sometimes I were independently wealthy so I could spend all sorts of time going from event to event like this to challenge these people - just so that they would have someone around who challenged them and forced them to account for what they say.

But I'd probably get branded an agent of the devil and kicked out (or kicked in).

I wish sometimes I were independently wealthy so I could spend all sorts of time going from event to event like this to challenge these people - just so that they would have someone around who challenged them and forced them to account for what they say.

But I'd probably get branded an agent of the devil and kicked out (or kicked in).

[color:purple]You hate America... You hate Freedom

The Captain Underpants series is hilarious! Everyone in our family loves those books ... full of toilet-humour, misspelled words (on purpose), and pokes at education ... guaranteed to stress out some educators and parents. Some would say they don't belong in school, but getting boys to read can be a challenge, and my partner Liana is convinced that our son started reading because of those books, as did other boys that we know.

Peace, Mark